BALTIMORE — The Oakland Athletics were cruising to another road win when Manny Machado upset them — again.
Brandon Moss hit a grand slam and Scott Kazmir threw seven scoreless innings as Oakland beat the Orioles 11-1 in a game that featured another bench-clearing confrontation between the teams.
For the second time in three games, Machado, the Orioles’ third baseman, was in the middle of a dugout-clearing scrum. Oakland left-hander Fernando Abad threw inside to Machado in the eighth. The bat flew out of Machado’s hands and went down the third-base line. Both players exchanged words before the benches and bullpens emptied. Machado and Abad were ejected.
“It got pretty intense there for a while,” Oakland’s John Jaso said. “There is a certain respect you have to have for this game. It’s a blessing for all of us to be where we are. When I feel somebody doesn’t see that and doesn’t respect the game as such, it doesn’t sit well with me.
- Richard Sherman asks for Tyler Lockett-Mario Kart mashup, the internet answers
- Seahawks trade Kevin Norwood, make other moves to get roster to 75
- The latest on Seahawks safety Kam Chancellor's holdout
- Seattle restaurant manager killed hiking in Alaska
- The Californians keep coming, but King County gives back
Most Read Stories
“I think guys like that need to be taught a lesson because there’s millions of other people that would love to have the spot that he has.”
• The Minnesota Twins officially signed free-agent first baseman/designated hitter Kendrys Morales to a one-year, prorated, $12 million contract. The Cuban-born slugger hit .277 with 23 homers and 80 RBI in 156 games with the Mariners last season.
• Texas Rangers infielder Mitch Moreland will miss about three months for surgery on an ankle that’s been bothering him all season. The timing could mean that he’s finished for the year.