David Ortiz hit a pair of two-run homers, including his 400th in a Red Sox uniform, and drove in a career high-tying six runs to power Boston past the Houston Astros 10-7.
Ortiz connected in the third inning Saturday night against Houston, sending a solo drive into the first row of the center-field seats at Fenway Park for the milestone shot. He then added a two-run homer in the fifth.
Ortiz has 459 home runs in his career, which started with the Minnesota Twins.
- More pet-food recalls linked to potential salmonella contamination
- Man drowns in Lake Washington after hopping off boat
- Seattle company copes with backlash on $70,000 minimum wage
- Seahawks' decision shows faith in Brandon Mebane, and the team's Superstar Strategy
Most Read Stories
• New York Yankees ace Masahiro Tanaka has thrown 25 pitches in his first bullpen session in a month since going on the disabled list with a partial tear in his right elbow.
Tanaka, 12-4 with a 2.51 earned-run average in 18 starts, pitched from the mound before Saturday’s game against Tampa Bay. This is the Japanese right-hander’s first season in the major leagues.
Yankees pitching coach Larry Rothschild said Tanaka looked “fine,” but that it’s “more important how he feels tomorrow.”
• Los Angeles Dodgers third baseman Juan Uribe has been placed on the 15-day disabled list because of tightness in his right hamstring.
It is the second time this season that the 14-year veteran has been sidelined because of hamstring problems.
• The sun was out and the sky was clear around Coors Field. So this was one unusual postponement. Saturday night’s game between the Colorado Rockies and Cincinnati Reds was called off because of a water main break outside the ballpark.
It will be made up as part of a split doubleheader Sunday.
• Milwaukee right-hander Kyle Lohse will miss his scheduled start Tuesday because of a sore right ankle.
Lohse left after three innings of Wednesday’s 4-2 loss to the Cubs with recurring discomfort in his right foot.
• The Cincinnati Reds have placed Homer Bailey on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right elbow.