BOSTON — The Boston Red Sox have placed struggling right-hander Clay Buchholz on the 15-day disabled list with a hyperextended left knee.
The move is retroactive to Tuesday and followed a bullpen session by Buchholz before Wednesday night’s game against Atlanta.
“We had a chance to sit down and talk to him before he went out on the field,” manager John Farrell said before knowing the results of the session, “but we’re going to be cautious. We don’t want to put him at risk of suffering any other type of injury, whether that’s to the knee or shows up elsewhere. We’ve got to be careful.”
- Anonymous donor pays off landslide victim's $360K mortgage
- Man arrested for carrying golf club sues city, Seattle cop
- 'Hero' teacher tackles shooter at North Thurston High School
- Jernard Jarreau leaving Washington
- Seattle-to-suburb commuters prefer urban lifestyle
Most Read Stories
• Yu Darvish showed up to the ballpark with his stiff neck feeling much better, and the Texas Rangers were able to breathe a sigh of relief knowing their Japanese ace won’t have to join a long list of teammates on the disabled list.
Darvish was scratched from his start on Tuesday night because of that neck discomfort, but Rangers manager Ron Washington said before a game against the Minnesota that the right-hander will start at Washington on Sunday.
• Manny Ramirez apologized for his behavior with the Boston Red Sox in his first public appearance since being hired as a minor-league player-coach with the Chicago Cubs. His apology came before a pregame ceremony in which the team honored its 2004 team that won Boston’s first World Series championship since 1918.
“I realize that I behaved bad in Boston,” Ramirez said. “The fans were great. I also played great when I was here, but I realized I behaved bad. I apologize for that. I’m a new man.”
• New York Yankees first baseman Mark Teixeira is out of the lineup for the third straight day because of soreness in his surgically repaired right wrist.
• Left fielder Carl Crawford has been put on the 15-day disabled list by the Los Angeles Dodgers because of a sprained left ankle.