CINCINNATI — Blue Jays infielder Brett Lawrie and outfielder Jose Bautista both left Sunday’s game against the Cincinnati Reds with injuries.
Lawrie left in the middle of the second inning with a broken right index finger after being hit by a pitch. Toronto didn’t immediately announce how long the infielder would be out.
Lawrie, the brother of former Washington All-American softball pitcher Danielle Lawrie, is hitting .244 this season with 12 homers and 38 runs batted in.
Bautista left with tightness in his left leg in the top of the third inning.
- Job cuts planned as Boeing hunkers down to compete with Airbus, consider new plane
- Police: Ohio newborn appears to have died from dog bite
- With Marshawn Lynch retired, what will Seahawks do with money they save?
- Sale of Weyerhaeuser’s Federal Way campus means more intensive development
- Unruly passenger diverts Boston-San Diego flight to Denver
Most Read Stories
SAN DIEGO — The struggling San Diego Padres fired general manager Josh Byrnes.
Padres president and CEO Mike Dee said the team will begin a search for a new GM immediately. In the interim, Omar Minaya, senior vice president for baseball operations, and assistant general managers AJ Hinch and Fred Uhlman Jr. will share Byrnes’ role.
Under Byrnes, the Padres’ payroll increased nearly $40 million to $89,881,696 — 23rd overall — but the team has made little progress.
• Hall of Fame reliever Goose Gossage was honored by the New York Yankees on Old-Timers’ Day with a plaque to be put in Monument Park. “This is the greatest day I’ve ever had,” he told the sellout crowd of 47,493 at Yankee Stadium. “I played for nine different teams, and putting on the pinstripes was like the closest thing to an out-of-body experience I’ve ever had.”
• Padres reliever Alex Torres is the first pitcher to wear a protective cap in a major-league game. Torres used the oversized gear when he worked the eighth inning of a 4-2 loss to the Los Angeles Dodgers on Saturday night. There was little on-field reaction.
• Miami Marlins infielder Rafael Furcal is back on the disabled list with a reinjured hamstring and may be out for an extended period.