Baseball thumbs up, and thumbs down
Desmond Jennings, Rays: He became the first center fielder since Andy Van Slyke in 1992 to complete an unassisted double play by tagging first base. There have been just 22 unassisted DPs by outfielders since 1951.
Jason Heyward, Braves: Already mired with the lowest batting average in the National League at .121 (7 for 58), Heyward underwent an emergency appendectomy Monday and landed on the DL.
- Beloved Mama's Mexican Kitchen in Belltown to close
- Washington officer shoots men accused of earlier beer theft
- To retire at 55 takes big savings
- Queen Anne apartments -- at half the usual cost
- Bing no longer a search-engine blip
Most Read Stories
Ex-Mariner of the week
Mike Carp, Red Sox: Carp has made the most of limited playing time, going 7 for 16 (.438) with four doubles and a triple entering the weekend.
“Somebody was talking about Phil Jackson the other day. We need to call him up, have him come in here and burn some sage or something. We’re not very feng shui right now.” — Jayson Werth on the Nationals’ struggles.