PHOENIX — The Arizona Diamondbacks designated former closer J.J. Putz for assignment Friday.
Putz, a former Mariner, had a career-high 45 saves while helping Arizona win the NL West title his first season in 2011, but he has battled injuries the past two seasons. The Diamondbacks signed Addison Reed during the offseason and moved Putz into a setup role.
The 37-year-old went 1-1 with a 6.50 earned-run average in 18 appearances and spent time on the disabled list with forearm tightness. Putz has 189 saves in 12 seasons, including 83 in four years with the Diamondbacks.
Putz pitched for the Mariners from 2003 to 2008 and saved 101 games.
- 1 killed, 5 injured in Snohomish Big Four Ice Caves collapse
- Starbucks prices here to rise 3.5 times as much as nationwide
- Seahawks mailbag: Russell Okung's future, Cliff Avril's role
- Mount St. Helens, still steaming, holds the world’s newest glacier
- Sound Transit planning heats up for light-rail expansion and public vote
Most Read Stories
Arizona recalled outfielder Ender Inciarte from the seven-day concussion disabled list to fill Putz’s spot on the roster. He hit .205 in 34 games with the Diamondbacks this season.
• Hard-hitting outfielder Yasmani Tomas of Havana’s powerhouse ballclub Industriales has defected, Cuban authorities said. Tomas, 23, has been playing for Industriales since 2008 and was part of Cuba’s national team at the third World Baseball Classic last year.
• Pittsburgh manager Clint Hurdle said Mark Melancon would close games for the Pirates in place of Jason Grilli, who has blown four save opportunities this year after converting 33 of 35 chances last season.
• Alex Wood will take Gavin Floyd’s spot in the Atlanta Braves’ rotation. Floyd was placed on the 15-day disabled list and returned to Atlanta, where team doctors were to examine the broken bone inside his throwing elbow.
• Left-handed reliever Sean Marshall of the Cincinnati Reds will have surgery on his left shoulder, which has bothered him for the past two seasons and repeatedly landed him on the disabled list.