BOSTON — Yankees general manager Brian Cashman sat in the visitors’ dugout at Fenway Park on Sunday, calling Alex Rodriguez a liar and saying he did not trust discussing any substantive matters with Rodriguez any longer. Yet, when Rodriguez is in the batter’s box, Cashman roots hard for him to succeed.
“These are unique times,” Cashman said.
Indeed they are. While New York Yankee officials fumed Saturday night over allegations made by Rodriguez’s lawyer in The New York Times, Rodriguez had dinner at the home of David Ortiz, the Red Sox popular slugger.
And in Sunday night’s game between the Yankees and Red Sox, the drama continued as Rodriguez was hit by a pitch from Ryan Dempster in the second inning. Yankees manager Joe Girardi came flying out of the dugout to Rodriguez’s defense and was ejected. Several Yankees spilled onto the field, and the bullpens emptied, suggesting that on some level Rodriguez’s teammates still backed him.
- School board rebukes Bellevue football program; possible two-year ban for coach Butch Goncharoff
- The hidden homeless: families in the suburbs
- This drone footage of inside Bertha’s tunnel is like something out of ‘Star Wars’
- How the Seahawks got two first-round picks in the NFL draft
- Mayor, Chris Hansen denounce misogynistic comments over council arena vote
Most Read Stories
Rodriguez responded with a home run in the sixth off Dempster in the Yankees’ 9-6 win.
But off the field, Rodriguez and his camp are planning to file a formal grievance against the Yankees over their handling of his medical issues. If so, it would follow the declaration by Yankees president Randy Levine on Sunday that Rodriguez “put up or shut up.”
• The New York Mets placed right-hander Jenrry Mejia on the 15-day disabled list after he had to leave Saturday’s start with pain in his surgically repaired elbow.
• Mike Trou
t left the Los Angeles Angels’ game against Houston in the sixth inning with tightness in his right hamstring. Trout said he doesn’t think the injury is serious, but he is uncertain whether he’ll play Monday against Cleveland.