The American League West dominated the AL East on Friday night, not allowing a run in the four divisional matchups. It's only the third...
The American League West dominated the AL East on Friday night, not allowing a run in the four divisional matchups.
It’s only the third time since divisional play began in 1969 that one division has blanked another division four times in one night, according to STATS. The NL West did it to the NL East on May 12, 1981, and the AL East did it to the AL West on June 7, 1969.
Felix Hernandez and Seattle got the night started by beating Toronto 4-0. A.J. Griffin and the Oakland Athletics got past CC Sabathia and the Yankees 2-0. Derek Holland pitched eight innings to help Texas defeat Boston 7-0. Former Mariner Jason Vargas closed out the impressive pitching night by the AL West by throwing a three-hitter in the Angels’ 4-0 win over Baltimore.
- A couple thoughts on Fred Jackson, Kam Chancellor and the Seahawks
- UW, Alaska Airlines agree to naming-rights deal for Husky Stadium's field
- Haggen sues Albertsons for $1 billion over big grocery deal
- After McKinley, it’s time to consider renaming Rainier
- Huskies’ colors for opener are purple, green
Most Read Stories
• Cardinals closer Jason Motte, who tied for the National League lead in saves in 2012, will undergo Tommy John surgery next week and miss the entire 2013 season. Motte threw Friday before the Cardinals’ game in Milwaukee and his right arm did not respond well to the throwing session.
• The Dodgers placed left-hander Ted Lilly on the 15-day disabled list with a strain in his right rib cage and activated starter Clayton Kershaw from the bereavement list.
• Yankees setup man David Robertson is out for New York’s weekend series against the Oakland Athletics because of a leg injury.
• Indians 1B Nick Swisher was out of the lineup for the third straight game because of a sore left shoulder.
• OF Shane Victorino was back in the lineup for the Red Sox after missing seven games with back stiffness.
• The Giants activated left-handed reliever Jeremy Affeldt from the 15-day DL after he had been sidelined since April 17 with a strained muscle in his right side.
• Rockies SS Troy Tulowitzki missed the game against the Tampa Bay Rays with soreness in his legs.
• The Washington Nationals activated 3B Ryan Zimmerman from the 15-day disabled list.