Injured New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez has tweeted that his hip surgeon has cleared him to play in rehabilitation games, and that drew the ire of general manager Brian Cashman.
“You know what, when the Yankees want to announce something, [we will],” Cashman told ESPN New York. “Alex should just shut the (expletive) up. That’s it. I’m going to call Alex now.”
Rodriguez had left hip surgery Jan. 16 and has been working out at the Yankees’ complex in Tampa, Fla. He took swings in a simulated game situation for the first time Monday. On Tuesday night, he tweeted the message, “Visit from Dr. Kelly over the weekend, who gave me the best news — the green light to play games again!” along with a photo of himself and Dr. Brian Kelly, who performed the operation in New York.
Manager Joe Girardi said earlier Tuesday that no date had been set for A-Rod to start playing in minor league rehab games. Rodriguez is expected to return to the Yankees around the All-Star break, shortly before he turns 38.
- NFL.com says Seahawks have most talented roster in league, and speculate on starting lineup
- After embarrassment, Seattle finds public toilet that's just right
- 32 families face eviction with sale of Kirkland mobile-home park
- Microsoft employees -- past and present -- look back over the years
- Salary cap expert Joel Corry with another look at Russell Wilson's contract
Most Read Stories
• The Chicago Cubs designated former All-Star Carlos Marmol for assignment, parting ways with the struggling reliever. Chicago has 10 days to trade or release him or send him outright to the minors if he clears waivers.
• Washington outfielder Bryce Harper started in left field and went 1 for 1 with a double, a walk, and a run scored as he began his minor-league rehab assignment with Class A Potomac.
• Boston has optioned struggling third baseman Will Middlebrooks to Class AAA Pawtucket.
• Arizona reinstated second baseman Aaron Hill from the 15-day disabled list and optioned left-hander Joe Paterson to AAA Reno.
• The Los Angeles Angels acquired outfielder Collin Cowgill from the Mets for minor-leaguer Kyle Johnson.