Ten teams will meet at Everest Park in Kirkland this week at the Junior League Softball World Series. The tournament is one of nine official Little League baseball or softball World Series.
Kirkland has hosted the tournament since its first year, 1999. Host Kirkland American/National will be one of six United States teams. The others are from the Philippines, Italy, Mexico and Victoria, B.C. Junior League softball is for 13-14 year-olds.
The tournament begins with six pool-play games on Sunday, including Kirkland against Canada at 5:45 p.m. The championship game is scheduled for Saturday.
- Black Lives Matter protesters march, conduct sit-ins in downtown Seattle
- Apple Cup Game Center: UW Huskies dominate No. 20 Cougars, shut down WSU's offense in Seattle
- Swarming defense, Myles Gaskin help UW Huskies rout WSU Cougars in Apple Cup
- With Luke Falk out, Peyton Bender will start at quarterback for WSU Cougars vs UW Huskies in Apple Cup
- Teardown town: 1,500 small houses replaced by giants since 2012
Most Read Stories
• Vashon Island’s Mia Croonquist led the U.S team to a semifinal victory in the junior women’s four at the World Rowing Junior Championships in Hamburg, Germany.
In 2011, after completing her freshman year of high school, Croon was a rookie in a veteran boat that went on to win a gold medal in the junior women’s four on the Olympic course in Eton, Great Britain. Now, she’s the veteran of the boat – a three-time junior national team member and two-time junior worlds’ medalist – looking to close out her junior career with another trip to the medal stand.
On Sunday, the U.S. will take on China, Italy, Belarus, Germany and France in the race for the medals.
• The Seattle Studs lost 3-2 to the Santa Barbara Foresters in the championship game of the National Baseball Congress World Series in Wichita, Kan.
The Studs were the defending champions in the tournament for summer-collegiate teams.
From sports-information reports