Florida State took care of Auburn’s BCS title hopes.
And 4-8 Appalachian State’s, for that matter.
“And the Mountaineers had quite a case,” noted Times desker Scott Hanson. “After all, they beat Georgia Southern, which beat Florida, which beat Tennessee, which beat South Carolina, which beat Vanderbilt, which beat Georgia, which beat Louisiana State, which beat Auburn.”
- How ISIS methodically groomed a lonely young Wash. state woman
- Despite struggles on and off field, ex-Skyline star QB Jake Heaps still chasing his dream
- Navy stealthily targets Hood Canal development
- Residents return to ‘war zone’ in wake of Wenatchee wildfire
- Lake City residents fight to regain use of now-private beach
Most Read Stories
• At SportsPickle.com: “Colts to drop Richardson over Cleveland on way to New England.”
• In the Kansas City Star, after the Chiefs blew a 38-10 lead against the Colts: “Horse(bleep).”
With recreational marijuana legal in Washington and Colorado as of Jan. 1, are Seahawks and Broncos concessionaires bracing for a huge run on brownies this weekend?
Roll the audio
Some memorable quotes from Jerry Coleman, the Padres’ Hall of Fame broadcaster who died Sunday at age 89:
“They throw (Dave) Winfield out at second — and he’s safe.”
“Willie Davis is not as young as he used to be.”
“Winfield goes back to the wall, he hits his head on the wall and it rolls off! It’s rolling all the way back to second base. This is a terrible thing for the Padres.”
Refilling the bowls
“Next season, let’s merge the Beef O’Brady Bowl with the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl,” wrote Bob Molinaro of the Norfolk Virginian-Pilot. “It may not make for a more interesting game, but it gives the appearance of a better-balanced meal.”
Talking the talk
• Former Texas coach Mack Brown, with an ominous tweet after Auburn took a 31-27 lead over Florida State in the BCS title game: “Did they score to(o) soon? 1:19 & 2 timeouts is forever.”
• ESPN fantasy-football guru Matthew Berry, after Colts receiver T.Y. Hilton’s 224-yard, 2-TD outing — good for 34 fantasy points — against the Chiefs: “The T.Y. stands for Thank You.”
• @PelicanPierre, via Twitter, on the state of the Bengals: “Andy Dalton tried to tell me a joke, but it went over my head.”
• Steve Schrader of the Detroit Free Press, after the Lions fired coach Jim Schwartz: “The Lions don’t rebuild, they unload.”
Cold case file
NFL spinmeisters, with an eye on the Weather Channel, can’t decide what nickname to give New Jersey’s Super Bowl XLVIII — Ice Bowl III or Winter Classic I.
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or email@example.com