Shuster’s team is 8-0 after an 8-3 victory over Clark, the defending national champions
John Shuster’s team established itself as the team to beat, remaining undefeated with an 8-3 victory over Brady Clark’s defending champions at the USA Curling National Championships at Xfinity Arena in Everett on Wednesday.
Shuster (Duluth, Minn.) improved to 8-0.
Clark of Lynnwood and teammates Greg Persinger (Fairbanks, Alaska), Colin Hufman (St. Paul, Minn.) and Phil Tilker (Seattle) defeated Heath McCormick 7-6 earlier and are tied with the Todd Birr rink at 6-2.
In women’s competition, Jamie Sinclair’s team handed Cassie Potter’s rink its first loss of the championship, 8-2. The Cristin Clark (Lynnwood) team lost to Nina Roth 9-2 and is 1-5.
Most Read Stories
- New wife feels sting of inheritance-plan snub | Dear Carolyn
- Seattle just broke a 122-year-old record for rain — because of course it did
- Fishing 101 can help parents cope with daughter’s nasty ‘best friend’ | Dear Carolyn
- Seattle’s March for Science draws thousands on Earth Day — including a Nobel Prize winner WATCH
- Cowlitz Tribe opening $510M casino complex they hope will draw 4.5M visitors
After Thursday’s round robin, the top four men’s teams and top three women’s advance to the playoffs.
• Washington is in 11th place at 6-over 294 after the first round of the John A. Burns Intercollegiate at Wailua Golf Course in Lihue, Hawaii. Washington State is 16th at 14-over 302.
UW’s Sam Warkentin and WSU’s Daniel Kolar are tied for 23rd at even-par 72.
• Riley Sutter scored the winning goal in visiting Everett’s 2-1 shootout victory over Saskatoon. Carter Hart saved 30 of 31 shots. Everett’s Dominic Zwerger tied the score at 1-1 in the second period, and Orrin Centazzo and Sutter scored in the shootout for the Silvertips.