Little Engine That Could, meet Jamie Moyer.
The soft-throwing lefty was a 21-game winner at age 41, won a World Series at 46, won two games at 50 and posted 235 of his 269 career wins after age 30 — all because he refused to give in and quit. So how does he want to be remembered?
“Just being a guy that didn’t want to go away,” Moyer told The New York Times. “At 29, I was offered a coaching job. I wasn’t upset by it. I understood it. I wasn’t the prospect, I was the suspect. But I still felt I could contribute. If I didn’t think that, that’s 20 years of baseball I would have missed as a player.”
- Roads could be a mess this weekend — and Monday
- Seven things to know about Seahawks rookie Tyler Lockett
- New GM Jerry Dipoto provides more insight into how he’ll turn Mariners around
- Parents of toddler killed in Bellevue to return to India
- Hope Solo’s domestic-violence charges revived
Most Read Stories
• At Fark.com: “Cleveland Browns acquire first-round pick in 2014 NFL draft to address their glaring need at RB.”
• At TheOnion.com: “SI investigation reveals Oklahoma State an awesome place to play football.”
Yes, that was music star Justin Bieber and rapper Lil Wayne accompanying Floyd Mayweather into the ring Saturday night before Mayweather’s fight with Canelo Alvarez in Las Vegas.
“It really psyched out Alvarez,” noted NBC’s Jimmy Fallon. “When he saw the three of them together he was like, ‘I don’t know who to hit first.’ ”
• Comedy writer Alan Ray, on star running back Trent Richardson getting traded from the Browns to the Colts: “It’s actually a dream come true for him. He’s always wanted to play pro football.”
• Brad Dickson of the Omaha (Neb.) World-Herald, after Tennessee sidelined defensive tackle Maurice Couch while the school investigates allegations he took improper benefits: “The good news is, he was suspended with pay.”
• Patriots coach Bill Belichick, to ESPN.com, updating the status of injured tight end Rob Gronkowski: “We haven’t practiced today. We’ve just been sitting in a meeting. He looks great sitting in a meeting.”
• TBS’s Conan O’Brien, on twerking as a fitness craze: “In just six weeks you can lose 10 pounds and your dignity.”
Gimme a j … a … i … l
In North Middleton Township, Pa., a 29-year-old man was arrested for allegedly assaulting an off-duty police officer who tried break up a fight between two cheerleaders at a midget football game.
Good luck trying to explain that one to the rest of the guys in your holding cell.
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or firstname.lastname@example.org