Finally, a Vikings boating story on Lake Minnetonka with a happy ending.
On Sunday, nearly nine years after Minnesota players embarked on their infamous strippership saga, Vikes linebacker Chad Greenway dove in to help save two stranded boaters from the wind-whipped lake. Even better, it turns out, one of them was a Bears fan.
“Good thing he told me that afterward,” Greenway told Minneapolis’ KARE-TV.
- Black Lives Matter protesters march, conduct sit-ins in downtown Seattle
- Apple Cup Game Center: UW Huskies dominate No. 20 Cougars, shut down WSU's offense in Seattle
- Swarming defense, Myles Gaskin help UW Huskies rout WSU Cougars in Apple Cup
- With Luke Falk out, Peyton Bender will start at quarterback for WSU Cougars vs UW Huskies in Apple Cup
- Teardown town: 1,500 small houses replaced by giants since 2012
Most Read Stories
• At SportsPickle.com: “California Chrome’s handlers deny horse’s Vegas party weekend shows a lack of focus.”
• At TheOnion.com: “Cavaliers GM believes Joel Embiid perfect prospect to build medical team around.”
Out of left field
A’s left fielder Yoenis Cespedes pulled off a baseball rarity, throwing out two Angels at home plate — in the same inning.
The odds of that happening? On Sunday, at least, it was 7 to 2.
You make the call
The most amazing streak in baseball history was:
a) Cal Ripken’s 2,632 consecutive games played (1982-98)
b) Joe DiMaggio’s 56 consecutive games with a hit (1941)
c) Haray Caray’s 288 consecutive days/nights visiting a bar (1972)
“Is there a better week in sports?” asked Len Berman of ThatsSports.com. “The NBA and Stanley Cup finals both get under way. California Chrome goes for the Triple Crown. They decide the French Open. Baseball everywhere.
“I’m surprised it’s not day 54 of the NFL draft.”
Yankees Go Home Dept.
No American tennis player, man or woman, made it to the singles quarterfinals in Paris this year.
So when it comes to compiling your clemency list, President Obama, please pardon our French.
Shouldn’t hitting a single, a double, a triple and an inside-the-park home run in one game be known as a motor cycle?
Talking the talk
• Vikings linebacker hopeful Mike Zimmer, to the St. Paul Pioneer Press, on the difficulty of sharing the same name and college (Illinois State) as the team’s head coach: “It’s tough because I can’t even Google myself.”
• Greg Cote of the Miami Herald, after golfer John Daly estimated he has lost $55 million gambling: “After giving that some thought, he immediately wagered $10,000 on the ‘over.’ ”
• Steve Schrader of the Detroit Free Press, on Steve Ballmer buying the Clippers: “If the NBA is looking for PC, who better than a Microsoft guy?”
• Kirk Kenney of the San Diego Union-Tribune, noting the four-year anniversary of Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga losing a perfect game on a blown call: “What is the statute of limitations for reviewing a play in baseball?”
Hoofing it in style
Footwear brand Skechers has signed a major sponsorship deal with Triple Crown hopeful California Chrome.
Skechers horseshoes, anyone?
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or email@example.com