Despite Washington's 2-0 record at the Husky/Nike Invitational, a goal-differential tiebreaker gave Portland the tournament title.
Washington’s women’s soccer team had little trouble staying undefeated at its own tournament this weekend, beating Fresno State 3-1 Sunday to improve to 5-0.
Both Washington and Portland went 2-0 at the Husky/Nike Invitational, but the Pilots claimed the tournament title on goal differential.
Junior Lindsay Elston of Sammamish gave the Huskies the lead in the 22nd for her fourth goal of the season, then provided the assist on Hillary Zevenbergen’s goal in the 73rd to complete the scoring at Husky Soccer Field.
Portland took the title after a 4-0 dismantling of La Salle, which gave them a dominant edge in goal differential after beating Fresno State 5-0 on Friday.
- McMorris Rodgers should ask hometown folks about Obamacare
- Seattle congestion: We're No. 5
- Expedia expected to announce Seattle move
- Seahawks re-sign FB/DL Will Tukuafu
- Seattle traffic congestion: We're No. 5
Most Read Stories
Other Women’s soccer
• Eastern Washington fell at Wyoming, 4-1, after giving up a goal in the first 10 minutes.
• Washington State suffered its first loss of the season, losing 4-0 to No. 4 Duke in the USC Futbol Classic in Los Angeles. The Cougars, who fell to 3-1 overall, were outshot 16-6.
• No. 25 Washington played to a scoreless draw with Cal State Bakersfield in the Portland/Nike Invitational in Portland. The Huskies will play in Connecticut on Friday, facing top-ranked Connecticut. The game will air on Fox Soccer Channel at 4 p.m.
Compiled from sports-information reports