Option football? No kidding. The MAACO Bowl Las Vegas has this year's best swag among the 35 bowls, according to the L. A. Times' rankings rankings. Washington...
Option football? No kidding.
The MAACO Bowl Las Vegas has this year’s best swag among the 35 bowls, according to the L.A. Times’ rankings. Washington and Boise State players got to choose a combination of gifts — including a 24-inch flat-screen TV, iPod Touch, a Blu-ray player or Nintendo Wii — totaling up to $550 from a list of 43 items.
Alas, wrote Steve Carp of The Las Vegas Review-Journal, “No, the tattoo parlor in the Hard Rock Hotel wasn’t offering a gift card as an option.”
- Death of Evergreen player, other injuries renew football-safety debate
- Our state’s greatest gift to the nation just got canceled
- Clay Matthews tells Colin Kaepernick: ‘You ain’t Russell Wilson, bro’
- Seahawks Game Center: Seattle holds off Detroit Lions for 'Monday Night Football' victory
- Watch: Former Mariners great Ichiro Suzuki pitches — yes, pitches — for the Marlins
Most Read Stories
The derisive term “47 percent” will be forever linked to 2012 because of:
a) A campaign comment by Mitt Romney
b) The accuracy of New York Jets quarterbacks
Out of the box
A group of Italian chefs have baked the world’s largest pizza — 131 feet in diameter and weighing 51,000 pounds.
Wondered Tony Siragusa: “Can I get that to go?”
The Bulls’ Joakim Noah is 0 for 5 from three-point range in his six NBA seasons.
Which is probably why the line isn’t known as Noah’s arc.
• NBC’s Jay Leno, after Secretary of State Hillary Clinton passed out and suffered a minor concussion: “Apparently, she heard the Lakers won two games in a row.”
• Bob Molinaro of the Norfolk Virginian-Pilot: “What’s going over the cliff first, the economy or Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni?”
• Headline at SportsPickle.com: “Vikings to wait to donate Peterson to science until after Week 17.”
• Brad Dickson of The Omaha (Neb.) World-Herald, on the Mayan prediction that the world would end Friday: “Which means Ball State vs. UCF could be the last football game ever played. … Naw, I’m still skipping it.”
Magic Beanes Dept.
“New Oakland shortstop Hiroyuki Nakajima from Japan says he signed with the A’s because GM Billy Beane is ‘extremely sexy and cool,’ ” wrote Len Berman of ThatsSports.com. “He does know that was Brad Pitt playing him in the movie, right?”
Still collecting sacks
The daughter of ex-Bears linebacker John Helwig has been charged with cashing his NFL pension checks — despite the fact he’s been dead since 1994.
Possible penalties range from jail time for fraud to 15 yards for illegal participation.
Stat of the day
The Kansas City Chiefs have drafted 10 quarterbacks since 1987 who combined for two NFL wins — none for the Chiefs — according to Sportige.com.
Ex-Giants defensive end Michael Strahan told Elle magazine he has no plans to ever close that trademark space between his front teeth.
Or as NFL orthodontists prefer to call it, the A-gap.
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or email@example.com