What, Dwight Howard disgruntled? "There are subtle signs," wrote Brad Dickson of the Omaha (Neb.) World-Herald. "In a game last week Howard...
What, Dwight Howard disgruntled?
“There are subtle signs,” wrote Brad Dickson of the Omaha (Neb.) World-Herald. “In a game last week Howard blocked five shots — three of ‘em were Kobe’s.”
Seven players were ejected when Mexico and Canada brawled in the ninth inning of their World Baseball Classic game Saturday.
- Capitol Hill light-rail station nearly ready for trains to rumble
- Marymoor Park concerts: Full lineup announced
- Historically black Central District could be less than 10% black in a decade
- Nelson Cruz's home run in ninth inning lifts Mariners to sweep of Rays
- Kyle Seager saves Mariners, 7-6, in 10 innings
Most Read Stories
In keeping with the theme, WBC officials declared Canada a 10-3 winner under the must scoring system.
Whoa there, Wildcats
“Idle thought,” wrote Bob Molinaro of the Norfolk Virginian-Pilot. “Kentucky at the head of the NIT parade would be like Secretariat pulling an ice wagon.”
Creditors in bankruptcy proceedings against John L. Smith complained that the former Arkansas football coach improperly moved more than $2 million from his holdings before he filed for Chapter 7 protection.
In other words, John L. dialed up a misdirection play.
Grab a No. 2 pencil
Steve Schrader of the Detroit Free Press: “What will a plume of white smoke signal?
“a) The cardinals picked Pope Benedict’s replacement for the Vatican.
“b) The Cardinals picked Chris Carpenter’s replacement for the rotation.
“c) Jim Leyland picked a closer. Or he’s on a Marlboro break.”
Dateline New York: The Brooklyn Nets have reportedly put Kris Humphries on the trading block, just 17 months after Kim Kardashian did.
Akron suspended Alex Abreu from the basketball team after the starting point guard was charged with possession and trafficking of marijuana.
Teammates figured something was amiss when he mistakenly referred to the Zips as the Zig-Zags.
Nicki Stricker, who caddies once a year for her husband Steve, was asked if she’s good at it.
“What do they say about caddies?” she replied to reporters. “Keep up, show up and shut up? So yeah, I’m a good caddie.”
Talking the talk
• Chuck King of the campus newspaper Owl Access, after prison operator GEO Group secured naming rights to Florida Atlantic’s football stadium: “There’s simply no excuse for FAU not to have the best jailbreak screen in the nation.”
• RJ Currie of SportsDeke.com, after horsemeat was found in some of Ikea’s Swedish meatballs: “I suspect it’s the work of the Galloping Gourmet.”
• Jack Finarelli of SportsCurmudgeon.com, after Yankees first baseman, Mark Teixeira sprained the ECU tendon in his right wrist: “Who knew that there was a tendon named after East Carolina University?”
Copperas Cove, Texas, has renamed a stretch of road Robert Griffin III Boulevard in honor of its hometown-hero quarterback, and local residents have really taken to it.
In fact, they’re passing like crazy.
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or firstname.lastname@example.org