BOSTON (AP) — Home plate umpire Chris Segal is remaining in the game after getting hit in the head by Josh Donaldson’s bat in a game between the Blue Jays and Red Sox.
Donaldson was the third batter in the game Monday night at Fenway Park. He took a swing at a pitch from Red Sox starter Eduardo Rodriguez and lost the handle on his bat. It flew behind him and hit Segal on the top of the head, and the umpire crumpled to the ground.
Boston catcher Christian Vazquez tried to help him to his feet, but Segal went back to the ground and remained there until the training staff came running out.
After a few minutes, Segal was smiling. Segal, who was wearing a mask and a baseball cap but no helmet, remained in the game.
Most Read Stories
- No more flying with reindeer: Unique Alaska planes to retire VIEW
- ‘No more agriculture in Puerto Rico,’ a farmer laments
- Seattle to spend $177M on new streetcar line amid questions about ‘unrealistic’ revenue, rider projections
- McCain calls brain cancer prognosis 'very poor'
- A daring betrayal helped wipe out Cali cocaine cartel
Donaldson struck out swinging.