Americans take 2-0 lead in WHL playoff series
KENNEWICK — If the strategy for the Everett Silvertips was to come out and play physical against the Tri-City Americans in the second game of their Western Hockey League playoff series, well, the strategy backfired.
The Silvertips were called for 12 infractions and 54 penalty minutes, resulting in eight power-play opportunities for the Americans. Tri-City converted on three of those and that’s all it took for a 3-1 victory Saturday and a 2-0 edge in the series. The third game in the best-of-seven series is Tuesday at 7:05 p.m. in Everett.
Patrick Holland, Mason Wilgosh and Adam Hughesman each scored for Tri-City, which held a 36-18 edge in shots on goal. Everett was 0 for 4 on the power play.
Ryan Murray had the only goal for Everett, which lost 7-2 in Game 1.
- Seahawks agree to contract extension with quarterback Russell Wilson
- Dustin Ackley trade symbolizes continuing dark days of Mariners
- Surviving Seattle’s sidewalks: Pedestrian rage rises as the population grows
- Man shot dead in South Seattle while on phone with mom
- Seahawks linebacker Bobby Wagner on contract talks: 'Now. That's my deadline'
Most Read Stories
From league reports