Zach Pochiro had two goals and an assist as the Prince George Cougars beat the Seattle Thunderbirds 6-4 Sunday in a Western Hockey League game at ShoWare Center in Kent.
The T-birds (37-18-2-3), who clinched a playoff berth Saturday, were 2-1-0-0 during the weekend. The Cougars (25-29-3-5) are two points out of the last playoff spot in the Western Conference.
Jaimen Yakubowski scored two goals for Seattle. His first goal opened the scoring and his second one finished it.
Alexander Delnov and Calvin Spencer also scored first-period goals for Seattle, which led 3-0. Prince George then scored six straight goals for a 6-3 lead after two periods.
- Evergreen senior’s death, other player injuries renew football-safety debate
- Our state’s greatest gift to the nation just got canceled
- Clay Matthews tells Colin Kaepernick: ‘You ain’t Russell Wilson, bro’
- Seahawks Game Center: Seattle holds off Detroit Lions for 'Monday Night Football' victory
- Reaction: National media reacts to controversial call on Kam Chancellor-forced fumble in Seahawks-Lions game
Most Read Stories
The Everett Silvertips outshot the Spokane Chiefs 37-25 and nearly rallied to tie the score in the third period before suffering a 5-3 defeat at the Spokane Veterans Memorial Coliseum.
Josh Winquist scored his 38th goal of the season in the first period and had an assist for Everett (28-23-7-1). Cole MacDonald also had a goal and assisted on another by Brayden Low, while Mirco Mueller notched a pair of assists.
Making his WHL debut after signing with the Silvertips last week, 15-year-old goaltender Carter Hart stopped 20 Spokane shots while taking the loss in a solid effort.