Steve Konowalchuk has signed a three-year extension to continue as coach of the Seattle Thunderbirds of the Western Hockey League.
“I am excited about the opportunity to stay with the T-birds and to continue to build a winning culture with the organization,” said Konowalchuk, who led the Thunderbirds to a 41-25-2-4 record last season as the team advanced to the second round of the WHL playoffs.
Both the Thunderbirds and the Everett Silvertips announced their exhibition schedules. First up for both teams will be the Silvertips’ Preseason Classic starting Aug. 29. Both teams play three games in the tournament, but will not face each other. That will happen Sept. 5 in a Kennewick tournament, and then in exhibition games in Everett on Sept. 12 and in Kent on Sept. 13.
- UW tops new list of best western universities
- Microsoft co-founder says he found sunken Japan WWII warship
- Moneytree leads push to loosen state's payday-lending law
- Should UW stick with coach Lorenzo Romar?
- Doughnut wars: Seattle sweets vs. Portland pastries
Most Read Stories
• Alivia Brown of Gig Harbor and Jordan Ferreira of University Place both shot even-par 72s and are tied atop the standings with a one-stroke lead at the Washington State Women’s Amateur at Port Ludlow. Brown just finished at Bellarmine Prep and is headed to Washington State. Ferreira just completed her freshman season at Notre Dame.
From sports-information reports.