Mike Aviani broke a tie, and the Spokane Chiefs went on to a 5-3 victory over the visiting Everett Silvertips on Wednesday night.
After Spokane led 3-0, Jujhar Khaira scored Everett’s first goal and the Silvertips pulled to 3-2 just nine seconds before the end of the second period on a power-play goal by Carson Stadnyk. Tyler Sandhu tied the score at 3. But Aviani scored on a power play, and the Chiefs added an empty-net goal.
• The Seattle University athletic department will induct six individuals and one team into the Seattle U Athletics Hall of Fame on Sunday, March 2 at noon at the Campion Tower Ballroom on campus.
- UW, Alaska Airlines agree to naming-rights deal for Husky Stadium's field
- Wife upset dad disappointed in baby's gender
- A couple thoughts on Fred Jackson, Kam Chancellor and the Seahawks
- Kentucky clerks to license marriages as their boss is jailed
- Macy’s proposing changes to downtown Seattle store
Most Read Stories
Inductees are: Steve Conklin, a shortstop on the baseball team from 1966 to 1968 who Conklin set school season (12) and career (26) records for doubles; men’s tennis player Warren Farmer, who led the team to the 1972 West Coast Athletic Conference championship; basketball forward Gary Ladd, the first Seattle U player to earn first-team All-WCAC honors.
Golfer Dale Lingenbrink, who earned medalist honors in the 1958 NorCal Intercollegiate Tournament; Dr. Joe Shamseldin, who served as one of the main physicians working with the Seattle U athletics department for more than 25 years; Cam Weaver, who helped the Redhawks to the 2004 NCAA Division II national championship in men’s soccer; and the 1957 golf team that was 19-0 during the dual-match season, defeating opponents such as Washington, Oregon, Portland and Gonzaga.
• The four finalists for Central Washington football coach have been announced and are: John Graham, defensive coordinator at Eastern Washington; Ian Shoemaker, co-offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at St. Cloud (Minn.) State; Chris Tormey, former head coach at Idaho and Nevada; and Mat Taylor, head coach at Skyline High School in Sammamish. Interviews begin Monday in Ellensburg. Graham is the first candidate on campus, followed by Shoemaker on Tuesday, Tormey on Wednesday, and Taylor on Thursday.
• Western Washington libero Samantha Hutchinson was a first-team pick on the American Volleyball Coaches Association NCAA Division II team. Receiving honorable mention were Viking middle blocker Kayla Erickson and Central Washington setter Catie Fry.
From sports-information reports.