PITTSBURGH – Derick Brassard scored 3:06 into overtime to give the New York Rangers a 3-2 victory over the Pittsburgh Penguins in Game 1 of their best-of-seven Eastern Conference semifinal series Friday night.
Play continued after Brassard’s goal, with Benoit Pouliot pumping a shot past goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury seconds after Brassard’s shot. A review showed Brassard’s flip from in front beat Fleury cleanly.
Game 2 is Sunday.
Pouliot and Brad Richards gave the Rangers an early 2-0 lead, and Henrik Lundqvist stopped 34 shots.
- WSU study: 'Exploding head syndrome' more common than once thought
- McMorris Rodgers should ask hometown folks about Obamacare
- Oregon Zoo elephant Rama euthanized; loved to paint
- Seattle congestion: We're No. 5
- Ivar's to raise restaurant workers' wages to $15 right away
Most Read Stories
Lee Stempniak and James Neal scored for the Penguins.
At Blackhawks 5, Wild 2
Patrick Kane had two goals for Chicago in the third period — including the go-ahead score with 11:38 remaining — and the defending-champion Blackhawks beat Minnesota in the opener of their West semifinal series.
• The Boston Bruins and Mayor Marty Walsh condemned racist slurs about P.K. Subban that hit social media after the Montreal defenseman scored in the second OT of their playoff game Thursday.