MONTREAL – Tomas Plekanec scored at 5:43 of the third period and the Montreal Canadiens moved one victory from advancing to the second round of the playoffs with a 3-2 victory over the Tampa Bay Lightning on Sunday.
Montreal leads the best-of-seven Eastern Conference series 3-0 and can sweep the Lightning by winning Tuesday night at the Bell Centre.
Rene Bourque scored 11 seconds into the game after a rousing pregame show and Brendan Gallagher also scored for Montreal.
“It was an important game, coming home after winning twice on the road,” coach Michel Therrien said.
- Seattle City Council kills sale of street for Sodo arena; Sonics fans despair
- Former Skyline High QB Jake Heaps signs with Seahawks
- 9 arrested, 5 officers hurt as May Day anti-capitalist march turns violent
- Sinkhole forms above Sound Transit light-rail tunnel in Roosevelt area
- Breaking down the Seahawks' reported undrafted free agents
Most Read Stories
Ondrej Palat and Matt Carle scored for Tampa Bay.
Tampa Bay got a scare at 16:09 of the second period when superstar Steven Stamkos fell and was struck in the head by Alexei Emelin’s knee, but Stamkos returned for the third period.
At Bruins 4, Red Wings 1
Justin Florek and Reilly Smith scored in a three-minute span in the first period and Boston evened its East playoff series with a Game 2 victory over Detroit.
Flyers 4, at Rangers 2
Luke Schenn scored the go-ahead goal in the second period, and backup Ray Emery made 31 saves for Philadelphia, which beat New York in Game 2 to even their East series.
At Sharks 7, Kings 2
San Jose, which trailed 2-0 after the first period, roared back to win and take a 2-0 lead over Los Angeles in their first-round West series.
Sharks fourth-liners Mike Brown and Raffi Torres scored second-period goals.
• Chicago defenseman Brent Seabrook was suspended for three games by the league for a hit to the head of St. Louis captain David Backes in Game 2 Saturday.
Backes’ status for Game 3 on Monday in Chicago is uncertain, team officials said. St. Louis leads the West series 2-0.