Tyson Baillie scored the decisive goal in a shootout, and the Kelowna Rockets won their ninth consecutive game, 4-3, over the Seattle Thunderbirds before 4,671 at the ShoWare Center in Kent on Tuesday night.
Alex Delnov, Roberts Lipsbergs and Ryan Gropp scored for the T-birds, who got 47 saves from Danny Mumaugh.
Ben Betker had two assists as the Everett Silvertips earned a 3-2 victory in Kootenay, B.C.
- Girlfriend finds nothing funny about couple’s sense of humor
- WWU police arrest 19-year-old student in racist-threats case
Most Read Stories
Dawson Leedahl, Kohl Bauml and J
osh Winquist scored for the Silvertips, who were outshot 33-22.
• Whitworth has accepted the resignation of coach John Tully, effective immediately. Tully completed his 19th season leading the Pirates with Saturday’s win at Lewis & Clark. He had a record of 100-83 during his tenure at Whitworth. The winningest and longest-serving football coach in Whitworth history, Tully was 131-103 in 24 seasons as head coach, including five years at Eureka College (Ill.). He guided the Pirates to three Northwest Conference titles (2001, 2006, 2007).
• Central Washington offensive tackle Mike Nelson was voted GNAC Offensive Lineman of the Year and was a first-team league selection. Nelson was one of seven Central Washington players selected along with RB Jordan Todd, OL Neil Fuhrmann, DL Austin Schnizler, LB JB Torsy and DBs Isaiah Davis and Stan Langlow.
• Pacific Lutheran had six players chosen to the Northwest All-Conference team: RB Niko Madison, WR Kyle Warner, OL Tevon Stephens-Brown, DL Mychael Tuiasosopo, LB Jordan Patterson and DB Sean McFadden. Whitworth had three first-team picks: TE Wade Myer, OL Dalton Cosby and DB Casey Monahan.
• Joey Schreiber keyed a rally from a 19-point second-half deficit as Western Washington overcame Brigham Young-Hawaii, 80-74, in a nonconference game.
Richard Woodworth led five players in double figures with 22 points as the Vikings (2-0), ranked No. 7 in this week’s NCAA Division II poll, extended their school and conference record home winning streak to 29 games.
The Vikings were down 63-44 with 13:56 remaining before staging a huge rally. DeAndre Medlock had 22 points and 14 rebounds for the Seasiders (1-1).
• Pacific Lutheran (2-1) could not contain Northwest’s Michael Russo, as the junior forward scored 29 points to lead the Eagles (5-2) to a 78-71 nonconference win over the Lutes.
From sports-information reports.