Cole Ully scored on a penalty shot in overtime as the Kamloops Blazers earned a 4-3 victory over the Everett Silvertips in the Western Hockey...
KAMLOOPS, B.C. — Cole Ully scored on a penalty shot in overtime as the Kamloops Blazers earned a 4-3 victory over the Everett Silvertips in the Western Hockey League on Wednesday night.
The Blazers won despite going 0 for 12 on the power play. Kamloops outshot the Silvertips 69-21.
Kamloops trailed 2-0 but scored three times in the second period. Everett’s Ryan Harrison tied the score at 5:40 of the third period on a short-handed goal.
Everett goaltender Austin Lotz had 65 saves.
- TCU QB Trevone Boykin among Seahawks' undrafted free agent signings
- Seahawks bolster key areas of need on Day 3 of NFL draft
- Bellevue High principal leaves school amid scrutiny of football program
- Oregon QB Vernon Adams to attend Seahawks rookie mini-camp on a tryout basis
Most Read Stories
PNGA Hall of Famer
Culver dies at 79
Liz Culver, a member of the Pacific Northwest Golf Association Hall of Fame and a 23-time women’s club champion at Overlake Golf and Country Club, died Jan. 13 of congestive heart failure. She was 79.
Culver, of Lake City, won the PNGA Women’s Amateur in 1978, a championship she played in every year but one from 1960 to 1998. She also won the PNGA Women’s Senior Championship in 1989 and the Washington State Women’s Golf Association title in 1970 and 1972.
Her vast amount of volunteering for the betterment of the game of golf also attributed to her Hall of Fame honor.
A celebration of her life will be held March 6 at 1 p.m. at Lake City Presbyterian Church in Seattle.
• James Finley will be the new volleyball coach at Seattle University, effective Feb. 1.
Finley served as head coach at Virginia Commonwealth for the past eight years, compiling a 151-116 (.566) record since 2005. He led the Rams to four conference championship matches, including the 2005 Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) tournament title that advanced VCU into the NCAA tournament.
• Washington is ranked No. 16 in the USA Today/NFCA (National Fastpitch Coaches Association) Top 25 Preseason softball poll. The Huskies finished 14th at the end of 2012 with a 39-19 record and an appearance in the NCAA Super Regionals.
The Huskies open the season Feb. 7 at the Paradise Softball Classic in Honolulu.
From team reports and other sources.