Share story

EVERETT — Justin Myles had a few new dents added to his goalie mask, but he didn’t mind after making 36 saves to help the Seattle Thunderbirds edge the Everett Silvertips 3-2 Friday night at Comcast Arena.

After a strong start, Seattle was outshot 28-8 over the final two periods but held on, thanks to Myles and his resilient chin. The win puts the T-birds at 22-10-1-3 for the season and Everett at 22-11-4-0. Both teams have 48 points and are tied for fourth in the Western Conference standings.

At least three shots clanked off Myles’ mug as Everett carried the play for most of the final two periods.

“The masks are pretty good so nothing really got to me,” Myles said. “I try not to think about it. I look at it like it’s just another shot.”

This week, save 90% on digital access.

Seattle withstood a furious Everett rally in the final 45 seconds with the Silvertips on a power play. After pulling its goaltender, the Silvertips had a 6-on-3 advantage for the final 44 seconds.

Myles was unflappable in holding his ground.

“You just try to stop every shot, whether it’s one shot or 30 shots,” Myles said. “I just try to play the same way, to stop all the shots and keep it pretty simple.”

The win puts Myles at 11-5-0-0 for the season, nearly identical to Danny Mumaugh, Seattle’s other goaltender, who is 11-5-1-3.

Seattle coach Steve Konowalchuk said he’s not ready to pick a starter.

“Both guys are playing well,” Konowalchuk said. “It’s nice to have that luxury We’re going to play so many games in the next little bit that we’re going to need them both.”

Konowalchuk said Mumaugh will start Saturday when the T-birds and Silvertips have a rematch in Kent.

Seattle has won 10 of its past 11 games to catch Everett in the standings, even though the Silvertips held a 38-21 shot advantage Friday.

“There are parts I really liked about our game and there are parts we have to work on,” Konowalchuk said. “In the first period we played with the energy and passion that our team needs to play with. As much as I liked our first, I didn’t like our second. Give them credit, they responded.”

Seattle scored first shortly after taking its first penalty. Justin Hickman intercepted a pass at his own blueline, outskated two defenders and had just enough energy left to deke and beat goaltender Austin Lotz.

Carson Stadnyk tied it at the midway point of the first period, but Seattle regained the lead on a goal by Shea Theodore that came after Everett had dominated play for most of the period.

Everett outshot Seattle 11-1 to start the second period and tied the score on a power-play goal by Jujhar Khaira. The T-birds were fortunate to regain the lead when Sam McKechnie scored with 33 seconds left.

Custom-curated news highlights, delivered weekday mornings.