Portland blows open a close game with a big second period.
PORTLAND — The Portland Winterhawks blew open a close game with four second-period goals in a 10-minute stretch to post a 5-2 victory over Everett in Western Hockey League action Wednesday.
Portland was down 1-0 when Chase De Leo opened the scoring for the Winterhawks (10-3-1-0) at the 3:38 mark of the second period. Goals followed by Brendan Leipsic, Oliver Bjorkstrand and Seth Jones and Portland was up 4-1 at the 13:12 mark. Ty Mappin and Kohl Bauml scored for Everett (6-9-0-2).
• Washington State (11-14, 1-12 Pac-12) broke the ice in league play as Ver’Leea Hardaway had 15 kills and five blocks in a 25-21, 25-9, 25-19 home volleyball victory over Colorado (14-11, 4-9).
- Death of Evergreen senior, other player injuries renew football-safety debate
- Our state’s greatest gift to the nation just got canceled
- Clay Matthews tells Colin Kaepernick: ‘You ain’t Russell Wilson, bro’
- Seahawks Game Center: Seattle holds off Detroit Lions for 'Monday Night Football' victory
- Watch: Former Mariners great Ichiro Suzuki pitches — yes, pitches — for the Marlins
Most Read Stories
• The Washington State women’s golf team finished three shots behind and in third place in the Rainbow Wahine Invitational in Hawaii. Kristen Rue was the top WSU golfer with a 222 to tie for sixth individually.
From league reports.