Share story

WINNIPEG, Manitoba — Alexandre Burrows knew the goals would come. He didn’t expect it would take until March.

The Vancouver right winger scored his first and second goals of an injury-marred season to help the Canucks beat the Winnipeg Jets 3-2 in a shootout Wednesday night.

Chris Higgins had the only goal in the shootout as Vancouver handed the Jets their fifth straight loss.

Burrows was playing in only his 36th game this season after breaking a foot to start the season and then breaking his jaw in December.

This week, save 90% on digital access.

“I hit a few posts, a few saves, a few rebounds, a few empty nets that should have gone in,” Burrows said. “It’s a fine line between goals and not.”

But Vancouver suffered another injury blow when center Ryan Kesler left the game in the second period after a knee-on-knee collision with Jets center Jim Slater.

Canucks coach John Tortorella said Kesler will be sent back to Vancouver for tests while his teammates keep traveling to games against Washington, Florida and Tampa Bay.

Higgins scored the decisive goal with some quick stickhandling on his way toward Ondrej Pavelec, flipping the puck by him after the netminder went down.

Andrew Ladd scored his 18th goal of the season and Michael Frolik added his 13th that put the Jets ahead 2-1 early in the third period.

Burrows tied it at 2 at 11:17 of the third period.

Vancouver is 2-4-1 in its past seven games.

The game was a big improvement for the Canucks, who collapsed Monday night and gave up seven goals in the third period in a 7-4 loss to the New York Islanders.

The Canucks have 70 points and Winnipeg 69 as they battle for a playoff spot in the Western Conference. Dallas holds the last wild-card berth with 74 points. Phoenix has 73.

DALLAS — Rich Peverley will not play again this season after collapsing on the bench during a game Monday.

Whether the Dallas Stars center will ever play again won’t be known until after more extensive work is done to evaluate his irregular heartbeat.

Peverley appeared briefly at a news conference, reading nervously from a statement that thanked “the number of people that saved my life” after he went down in the first period of a game against Columbus, stunning players, coaches and fans.

The 31-year-old left the questions to doctors who said his season was over and he would undergo a procedure called an ablation that he decided to put off when his condition was first discovered during a physical before training camp in September.

Custom-curated news highlights, delivered weekday mornings.