VANCOUVER, B.C. — Jannik Hansen scored the game’s only goal and Eddie Lack made 20 saves for his third shutout of the season as the Vancouver Canucks blanked the St. Louis Blues 1-0 in the first post-Olympic game for both teams Wednesday night.
The Canucks ended their losing streak at seven games while moving into sole possession of eighth place in the Western Conference. The Blues dropped their third straight decision to Vancouver this season.
Hansen broke a scoreless deadlock at 11:13 of the third period. He took a backhand stretch pass from Tom Sestito from deep in the Vancouver zone just past center ice, raced in on a breakaway and beat Jaroslav Halak with a high shot.
It was Hansen’s first goal in just over a month, a span of eight games, after he last scored Jan. 26 against Phoenix.
- Seattle City Council kills sale of street for Sodo arena; Sonics fans despair
- Former Skyline High QB Jake Heaps signs with Seahawks
- 9 arrested, 5 officers hurt as May Day anti-capitalist march turns violent
- Sinkhole forms above Sound Transit light-rail tunnel in Roosevelt area
- High court rejects franchises’ challenge to Seattle’s $15 wage law
Most Read Stories
The Canucks outshot the Blues 35-20, but Lack had no shortage of challenges. Vancouver was blanked on four power plays while St. Louis failed to score on three.
Lack drew the start after backstopping the Canucks to a pair of wins over St. Louis earlier this season.
LONG ISLAND, N.Y. — The Islanders’ best player hobbled into Nassau Coliseum on Tuesday morning, with one crutch under his left armpit — he lost the other crutch in Sochi — and one gold medal in his pocket.
After suffering a season-ending knee injury during Canada’s run to Olympic gold, Tavares returned to Long Island still feeling proud — and ready to go again, despite general manager Garth Snow’s words of frustration after Tavares was hurt last week.
“I love playing for my country and if I got the call again, I would,” Tavares said.
• Montreal Canadiens star goaltender Carey Price will miss the next two games because of a lower-body injury. Price aggravated the injury while representing Canada at the Olympics.
• The Columbus Blue Jackets activated right wing Marian Gaborik off injured reserve after he recovered from a broken collarbone.
• The Chicago Blackhawks acquired defenseman Brian Connelly from the Minnesota Wild for left wing Brad Winchester.