Basketball players Nate Sikma of Bellevue and Claire Conricode of Holy Names are Stars of the Week for Feb. 27-March 5.
Sikma, a 6-foot-6 senior forward, averaged more than 20 points and 12 rebounds in three games to lead the Wolverines to a second-place finish in the Class 3A state tournament, a school best. He was a first-team all-tournament choice.
- Wolverine fire continues to grow, air quality at hazardous levels
- Man who drowned in Lake Washington was watching hydros, jumped in to swim
- Oh, rats! Seattle is one of the rattiest places in U.S.
- Seahawks' decision shows faith in Brandon Mebane, and the team's Superstar Strategy
- Old office-temperature rule for men leaves women freezing at work
Most Read Stories
Holy Names basketball
Conricode, a senior wing, nailed six three-pointers to lead the Cougars to a 57-48 victory over Prairie in the championship game of the 3A state tournament. She tied a record for the most threes in the tournament (15) and was voted MVP.
Holy Names girls basketball team
The Cougars, coached by Lee Adams, capped a 29-0 season by winning their first state championship. The Seattle school finished second in 2010 and third in 2009.
Stars of the week are selected by The Seattle Times staff and published Tuesdays, but can be chosen only once each sports season. Nominations may be e-mailed by Sunday night to email@example.com with name, school and accomplishments.