Jordan King, Candace Goldfinch and the Renton boys wrestling team are Seattle Times Stars of the Week for Jan. 20-26.
Rainier Beach basketball
King, a 6-foot-3 senior forward, had three double-doubles as the Vikings (16-3) rose to No. 1 in the Class 3A boys rankings. His 14 points and 12 rebounds were key in a 66-63 win over Bothell (then ranked No. 1 in 4A). King followed with 17 points and 17 rebounds against Bishop Blanchet and 10 points and 12 rebounds against Bainbridge.
- Win over USC puts UW’s coaching upgrade (Chris Petersen over Steve Sarkisian) on full display
- Lloyd McClendon will not return as Mariners' manager
- Expect traffic delays when Obama visits Seattle Friday afternoon
- Huskies upset USC 17-12 and beat Steve Sarkisian, their former coach
- Obama visits Seattle for fundraisers; traffic not as bad as expected
Most Read Stories
Goldfinch, a freshman, was the 3A/2A medalist at the West Central District tournament with a 656 series at Pacific Lanes in Tacoma. Her score was higher than the top 4A finisher. She rolled games of 222, 248 and 186 after coming in with an average of 191.
Renton boys wrestling team
Coach Keith Eager’s team beat Hazen 38-28 to wrap up the school’s first Seamount League regular-season wrestling title since 1991. Renton won eight of 14 individual matches to improve to 7-0 in Seamount meets.
Stars of the week are selected by The Seattle Times staff and published Tuesdays. Nominations may be emailed by Sunday night to email@example.com.