Jordan King, Candace Goldfinch and the Renton boys wrestling team are Seattle Times Stars of the Week for Jan. 20-26.
Rainier Beach basketball
King, a 6-foot-3 senior forward, had three double-doubles as the Vikings (16-3) rose to No. 1 in the Class 3A boys rankings. His 14 points and 12 rebounds were key in a 66-63 win over Bothell (then ranked No. 1 in 4A). King followed with 17 points and 17 rebounds against Bishop Blanchet and 10 points and 12 rebounds against Bainbridge.
- Kirkland hunter defends acquaintance who killed treasured lion Cecil
- Alaska Airlines has 72-hour sale on fall travel to Hawaii
- Seahawks safety Kam Chancellor considering training-camp holdout, source says
- Seattle baby names: We’re trying harder to stand out
- Wing part that may be from missing Malaysian plane to be sent to France
Most Read Stories
Goldfinch, a freshman, was the 3A/2A medalist at the West Central District tournament with a 656 series at Pacific Lanes in Tacoma. Her score was higher than the top 4A finisher. She rolled games of 222, 248 and 186 after coming in with an average of 191.
Renton boys wrestling team
Coach Keith Eager’s team beat Hazen 38-28 to wrap up the school’s first Seamount League regular-season wrestling title since 1991. Renton won eight of 14 individual matches to improve to 7-0 in Seamount meets.
Stars of the week are selected by The Seattle Times staff and published Tuesdays. Nominations may be emailed by Sunday night to firstname.lastname@example.org.