Seattle Times Stars of the Week for Feb. 24-March 2.
Rainier Beach basketball
The 5-foot-9 senior guard was voted tournament MVP after leading the Vikings to their second straight Class 3A state championship. After scoring a season-high 21 points in a semifinal victory over Franklin, he delivered 15 in an overtime victory against Lakeside for the title.
- Mount St. Helens, still steaming, holds the world’s newest glacier
- Whitest big county in the U.S.? It’s us
- Seattle sets heat record for July 4
- For escapee, prison now will mean 23 hours a day in a cell
- Sound Transit planning heats up for light-rail expansion and public vote
Most Read Stories
Mount Rainier basketball
McPhee, a 6-foot senior forward, led the Class 4A state tournament in scoring (29 points per game), rebounds (15.7) and blocks (4.7) as the Rams placed third. She had 34 points, 14 rebounds and seven blocks in their lone tournament loss, 51-50 in the semifinals to eventual champion Mead of Spokane.
Coach Stephenie Wheeler-Smith’s Eagles capped a 27-2 season by winning the Class 3A state title for only the second time in school history, edging Seattle Prep in the final, 45-43 in overtime. It was their 26th consecutive victory.
Stars of the week are selected by The Seattle Times staff and published Tuesdays.