Seattle Times Stars of the Week for Feb. 24-March 2.
Rainier Beach basketball
The 5-foot-9 senior guard was voted tournament MVP after leading the Vikings to their second straight Class 3A state championship. After scoring a season-high 21 points in a semifinal victory over Franklin, he delivered 15 in an overtime victory against Lakeside for the title.
- Cleared after stabbing, former UW student wants his life back
- Driver arrested after I-90 crash that killed 2
- Costco delays credit-card switch
- WSDOT chief ousted by Senate Republicans after 3 years on job
- Band's frontman: No Super Bowl halftime show for Metallica
Most Read Stories
Mount Rainier basketball
McPhee, a 6-foot senior forward, led the Class 4A state tournament in scoring (29 points per game), rebounds (15.7) and blocks (4.7) as the Rams placed third. She had 34 points, 14 rebounds and seven blocks in their lone tournament loss, 51-50 in the semifinals to eventual champion Mead of Spokane.
Coach Stephenie Wheeler-Smith’s Eagles capped a 27-2 season by winning the Class 3A state title for only the second time in school history, edging Seattle Prep in the final, 45-43 in overtime. It was their 26th consecutive victory.
Stars of the week are selected by The Seattle Times staff and published Tuesdays.