Seattle Times Stars of the Week for Feb. 24-March 2.
Rainier Beach basketball
The 5-foot-9 senior guard was voted tournament MVP after leading the Vikings to their second straight Class 3A state championship. After scoring a season-high 21 points in a semifinal victory over Franklin, he delivered 15 in an overtime victory against Lakeside for the title.
- Seattle police officer faces firing over arrest of man carrying a golf club
- Mariners’ triple play hadn’t been seen since 1955
- 5 things you should know about Microsoft’s Windows 10
- Before getting the ax, Steve Sandmeyer show was scraping by
- True-crime author Ann Rule dies at age 83
Most Read Stories
Mount Rainier basketball
McPhee, a 6-foot senior forward, led the Class 4A state tournament in scoring (29 points per game), rebounds (15.7) and blocks (4.7) as the Rams placed third. She had 34 points, 14 rebounds and seven blocks in their lone tournament loss, 51-50 in the semifinals to eventual champion Mead of Spokane.
Coach Stephenie Wheeler-Smith’s Eagles capped a 27-2 season by winning the Class 3A state title for only the second time in school history, edging Seattle Prep in the final, 45-43 in overtime. It was their 26th consecutive victory.
Stars of the week are selected by The Seattle Times staff and published Tuesdays.