As it had all season, the Sumner defense didn’t allow anything in the 2A state championship game against Bellingham. And behind goals from Kinsey Saiz and Jordan Thompson, the Spartans repeated as state champions with a 2-0 win over the Red Raiders in the title match at Shoreline Stadium on Saturday.
Sumner allowed just five goals all season and had shutouts in each of its state tournament wins, including a 1-0 victory over previously undefeated No. 1 West Valley of Yakima in the semifinals on Friday.
Saiz scored in the 25th minute from 10 yards out off an Allie DeGoede throw-in to give the Spartans a 1-0 lead, and Sumner’s defense weathered five first-half corner kicks.
Less than 10 minutes into the second half, Thompson doubled the lead with a 20-yard blast. Sumner became just the second team to repeat as champions in 2A.
- On his birthday, Russell Wilson gives Seattle Seahawks perhaps his greatest game to beat Pittsburgh Steelers
- Seahawks 39, Steelers 30: What the national media are saying about Russell Wilson and Seattle's turnaround
- Update: Seahawks' Jimmy Graham suffers right knee injury vs. Steelers, will miss rest of season
- Girlfriend finds nothing funny about couple’s sense of humor
- Seattle Seahawks’ swagger, hopes for playoffs are back after they slam door on Pittsburgh Steelers
Most Read Stories
Squalicum 2, West Valley (Yakima) 1, (4-2 PKs)
After Squalicum’s Lauren Eckert made one save in the penalty-kick shootout, then West Valley’s next attempt went high, Sarah Byron buried her attempt from the spot to seal third place for Squalicum.
Abigail Gaulke opened the scoring in the 24th minute for West Valley, but Kim Hazlett of Squalicum equalized in the 50th minute with a tap-in off an assist from Julia DeVere.
It was a repeat of last year’s third-place match, which West Valley won, 1-0.