As it had all season, the Sumner defense didn’t allow anything in the 2A state championship game against Bellingham. And behind goals from Kinsey Saiz and Jordan Thompson, the Spartans repeated as state champions with a 2-0 win over the Red Raiders in the title match at Shoreline Stadium on Saturday.
Sumner allowed just five goals all season and had shutouts in each of its state tournament wins, including a 1-0 victory over previously undefeated No. 1 West Valley of Yakima in the semifinals on Friday.
Saiz scored in the 25th minute from 10 yards out off an Allie DeGoede throw-in to give the Spartans a 1-0 lead, and Sumner’s defense weathered five first-half corner kicks.
Less than 10 minutes into the second half, Thompson doubled the lead with a 20-yard blast. Sumner became just the second team to repeat as champions in 2A.
- Seattle City Council kills sale of street for Sodo arena; Sonics fans despair
- This drone footage of inside Bertha’s tunnel is like something out of ‘Star Wars’
- Ted Cruz ends his bid for Republican presidential nomination
- Man killed by car pulling out of Seattle parking garage
- Bertha under the viaduct: Drilling that shut highway is nearly 30 percent done
Most Read Stories
Squalicum 2, West Valley (Yakima) 1, (4-2 PKs)
After Squalicum’s Lauren Eckert made one save in the penalty-kick shootout, then West Valley’s next attempt went high, Sarah Byron buried her attempt from the spot to seal third place for Squalicum.
Abigail Gaulke opened the scoring in the 24th minute for West Valley, but Kim Hazlett of Squalicum equalized in the 50th minute with a tap-in off an assist from Julia DeVere.
It was a repeat of last year’s third-place match, which West Valley won, 1-0.