Junior forward Danny South had a hat trick and Roosevelt overcame an early deficit to beat Richland 3-1 Friday night in a Class 4A boys soccer state quarterfinal game.
RICHLAND — Danny South had a hat trick and Roosevelt overcame an early deficit to beat Richland 3-1 Friday night in a Class 4A boys soccer state quarterfinal game.
The surprising Roughriders (13-5-2), who entered the playoffs as the sixth seed from the tough KingCo Conference, advanced to the semifinals next Friday at Sparks Stadium in Puyallup. They will face the winner of Saturday’s quarterfinal between Union (Vancouver) and Ferris (Spokane).
South, a junior midfielder, scored in the 15th, 43rd and 48th minutes after Richland (11-6) scored only eight minutes into the game.
It was the seventh straight victory for the Roughriders, who got their first state-playoff win since 2005 when they beat Central Kitsap 3-2 in overtime in the first round.
- Pursuit of big-money contract comes at a cost for Seahawks QB Russell Wilson
- Paying the bill for U.S. Open at Chambers Bay
- Seattle man charged with vehicular homicide in cyclist’s death
- ‘Historic’ tuition cut sets state apart from rest of U.S.
- As Puget Sound sweats, few air conditioners are cooling us down