DeAngelo Casto, a 6-foot-8 all-state basketball player who transferred from Class 4A state champion Ferris of Spokane to Franklin High School...
DeAngelo Casto, a 6-foot-8 all-state basketball player who transferred from Class 4A state champion Ferris of Spokane to Franklin High School this fall, has returned to Ferris.
Franklin coach Jason Kerr said Monday night that Casto notified him last week that he was returning to Spokane.
- On his birthday, Russell Wilson gives Seattle Seahawks perhaps his greatest game to beat Pittsburgh Steelers
- Seahawks 39, Steelers 30: What the national media are saying about Russell Wilson and Seattle's turnaround
- Girlfriend finds nothing funny about couple’s sense of humor
- Update: Seahawks' Jimmy Graham suffers right knee injury vs. Steelers, will miss rest of season
- Seattle Seahawks’ swagger, hopes for playoffs are back after they slam door on Pittsburgh Steelers
Most Read Stories
He has re-enrolled at Ferris, according to The Spokesman-Review newspaper.
Kerr said Casto, considered one of the state’s top college prospects, was “not very specific” about why he was leaving.
“At the end of the day, I don’t think he was happy with his surroundings,” Kerr said. “My take is that over here, where we come from, respect is earned on a daily basis and not given. I don’t think he was comfortable with that and wanted to go back to some comfortable surroundings.”
Casto averaged 14.8 points and 12.2 rebounds for Ferris last season. He scored 27 to help beat Franklin 100-79 in the state semifinals. The next night he had 16 points and 12 rebounds in a double-overtime win over Kentridge for the title.
In June, Casto’s mother, Stacy, said the family wanted to move to Seattle for a variety of reasons that include “cultural diversity over here that is really lacking over there.” She explained that she and her husband, Duane, have a family of 15 children (12 adopted, including DeAngelo), and that many of her children are African-American.
DeAngelo played two years at 1A Freeman near Spokane before transferring to Ferris before last season.