Baylee Hamilton and Cheyenne Gavino placed 1-2 in all-around to lead host Mount Rainier to the SPSL 4A gymnastics team championship Saturday...
DES MOINES — Baylee Hamilton and Cheyenne Gavino placed 1-2 in all-around to lead host Mount Rainier to the SPSL 4A gymnastics team championship Saturday at Mount Rainier High School.
The Rams surprised a pair of 2011 state qualifiers, Jefferson and Beamer. Mount Rainier (173.525 points) topped a group of six schools that advance to next Saturday’s West Central District meet, which the Rams will host. Other qualifiers: Jefferson (172.375), Emerald Ridge (171.7), Beamer (169.35), Auburn Riverside (162.7) and Kentlake (162.5).
Jefferson’s Monica Church took first on floor (9.6), Hamilton won bars (9.025). Jefferson senior Madison Kellar placed first on beam (9.55) and Shannon Cribbin won vault (9.45). Hamilton took the all-around (37.375), followed by Gavino (36.825) and Sam West of Beamer (36.65).
- Seahawks agree to contract extension with quarterback Russell Wilson
- Dustin Ackley trade symbolizes continuing dark days of Mariners
- Surviving Seattle’s sidewalks: Pedestrian rage rises as the population grows
- Mariners trade Mark Lowe to the Blue Jays for three minor leaguers
- Seahawks linebacker Bobby Wagner on contract talks: 'Now. That's my deadline'
Most Read Stories
• Olivia Bannerot won the all-around (36.9), vault (9.5), bars (8.75) and floor (9.75), leading Enumclaw to the SPSL 3A/2A team title at Mount Rainier. Second-place Auburn Mountainview also advances to district next week.
• Ellie Jajewski of Holy Names made a clean sweep of the all-around title (36.875) and all four individual events in the Metro championships at Roosevelt High School Friday night. Bainbridge won the team crown.
• In the Seamount meet Friday at Mount Rainier, Kristen Rodal won the all-around (35.625) and three of four events to lead Highline to the team title.
• Hazen won only two events, but slipped past Kennedy Catholic 355-350 for the Seamount League boys team championship at the Highlanders’ pool. Thane Maudslien, who won two events (100 back, 100 fly) at state for Kennedy last year, took two different ones — the 100 breast and 50 free — in the league meet. Kennedy’s Tommy Thach (100 and 200 free) also won twice.
• Lakeside’s Zach Wagner (50 free, 100 free) and Bainbridge’s Andrew McCarthy (200 free, 500 free) each won a pair of events in the coed Metro championships at Helene Madison pool. Lakeside won the combined boys and girls meet.
Freelancer Terry Wood contributed to this report.