The schedule and wrestlers to watch at the state gymnastics championships Friday and Saturday in Tacoma.
At Tacoma Dome
Friday: Weigh-in, 8 a.m. First session, 10 a.m. Second session, 4 p.m.
Saturday: Weigh-in, 8 a.m. Third session, 10 a.m. Championship finals, 5:15 p.m.
Three to watch
- Our state’s greatest gift to the nation just got canceled
- Watch: Former Mariners great Ichiro Suzuki pitches — yes, pitches — for the Marlins
- Clay Matthews tells Colin Kaepernick: ‘You ain’t Russell Wilson, bro’
- Gun violence: Don’t fear gun laws; let gun-owners help pay to fix the problem
- Evergreen High School football player critically injured during game
Most Read Stories
JAKE VELARDE, N. Kitsap: 2A standout at 138 pounds could be only the 10th boys wrestler in Mat Classic history to win four titles. He is 37-1 this season, 153-5 in his career.
JOSH NEWBERG, Kelso: Highlanders’ 126-pound senior goes for third title in a row in 3A. Newberg is 36-1 this season, 134-13 overall.
CASSIDY MEYERS, Kentwood: After winning at 118 last year, the girls senior is 29-1 at 124 and trying to place for a fourth straight year.
Defending 4A boys champ Tahoma, ranked No. 2, brings 11 wrestlers and figures to battle top-ranked Lake Stevens, No. 3 Graham-Kapowsin and No. 4 Mead. Eight-time state champ Lake Stevens had seven regional titlists and takes 14 to state.
Enumclaw, seeking a fifth 3A boys team title in six years and third in row, brings 12 state qualifiers.
The 3A boys bracket at 126 is stacked. Shorewood’s Mathew Floresca, a junior, is 29-0 and could meet Bonney Lake’s Colton Tracy (runner-up at 113 in 2012) in one 3A semifinal. Kelso’s Newberg and Enumclaw’s Tyke Reid (runner-up at 120 last year) could meet in the other.
Mat Classic brackets: wiaa.com