Mercer Island boys swimming
Deiparine, a senior, is gearing up for the postseason. He posted personal bests in winning the 50 freestyle (21.63 seconds) and 100 breaststroke (58.94) at the big Kentridge Invitational at the King County Aquatic Center — both state-leading times in Class 3A. He also was part of the Islanders’ winning 400 relay.
- This drone footage of inside Bertha’s tunnel is like something out of ‘Star Wars’
- Seattle City Council kills sale of street for Sodo arena; Sonics fans despair
- School board rebukes Bellevue football program; possible two-year ban for coach Butch Goncharoff
- Man killed by car pulling out of Seattle parking garage
- Ted Cruz ends his bid for Republican presidential nomination
Most Read Stories
Liberty girls basketball
What better time for the 6-foot senior to play big than against Bellevue, then ranked No. 3 in Class 3A? Campbell scored a career-high 22 points — 10 of those coming in the fourth quarter and overtime — as the Patriots pulled a 50-47 upset. She also had 12 rebounds, four blocks and three steals.
Beamer boys basketball team
The road to the SPSL 4A South traditionally goes through Curtis, the defending state champion and a team the Titans had not beaten since 2010. So coach Winston Bell’s squad cleared a big hurdle with their 62-55 win over the Vikings, then ranked a notch ahead of Beamer in the state rankings. The Titans also beat Puyallup, 71-57, and are 8-1 on the season, 7-0 in league play.