Mercer Island boys swimming
Deiparine, a senior, is gearing up for the postseason. He posted personal bests in winning the 50 freestyle (21.63 seconds) and 100 breaststroke (58.94) at the big Kentridge Invitational at the King County Aquatic Center — both state-leading times in Class 3A. He also was part of the Islanders’ winning 400 relay.
- Seattle police officer faces firing over arrest of man carrying a golf club
- Man killed by escort had axes, shovel, bleach; may be linked to missing women
- Seattle-area home prices hit wall in May
- Alaska Airlines has 72-hour sale on fall travel to Hawaii
- Boy Scouts OK gay leaders; Mormon church may quit
Most Read Stories
Liberty girls basketball
What better time for the 6-foot senior to play big than against Bellevue, then ranked No. 3 in Class 3A? Campbell scored a career-high 22 points — 10 of those coming in the fourth quarter and overtime — as the Patriots pulled a 50-47 upset. She also had 12 rebounds, four blocks and three steals.
Beamer boys basketball team
The road to the SPSL 4A South traditionally goes through Curtis, the defending state champion and a team the Titans had not beaten since 2010. So coach Winston Bell’s squad cleared a big hurdle with their 62-55 win over the Vikings, then ranked a notch ahead of Beamer in the state rankings. The Titans also beat Puyallup, 71-57, and are 8-1 on the season, 7-0 in league play.