Share story

Talk to Franklin coach Craig Jackson on Thursday night after the Quakers beat Sequim 88-53 and one would have thought the score was flipped.

“I think I saw a team that could just go out there and outplay guys on talent level,” he said. “They’re a very solid 2A team with good fundamentals. If they had a been a team that we’re going to struggle with, we would have been in trouble tonight.”

Jackson believed his players took the opponent for granted and brought little energy to the first-round Tournament of Champions game on their home floor. As a result, he would have liked to see the Quakers (6-0) settle down and run their offense, but he didn’t see that happen, either.

Franklin jumped out to a 44-21 halftime lead and never had its advantage challenged. Keith Smith led the Quakers with 31 points, while Eugene Artison added 21.

This week, save 90% on digital access.

Alex Barry scored 15 points for Sequim (5-2).

Franklin plays Wilson on Friday at 8 p.m. in the semifinals. Sequim falls into the consolation bracket and faces Union at 4:30 p.m.

Wilson 62, Union 44

Union of Vancouver had trouble getting anything inside against Wilson of Tacoma with Alphonso Anderson, the Rams’ 6-foot-6 sophomore, controlling the paint in the first-round game. The Titans responded by taking more shots from beyond the arc, but hit just 6 of 19 three-pointers.

Micah Paulson led Union (3-4) with 16 points but hit just 2 of 11 three-pointers.

Junior guard Ivy Smith Jr. led Wilson (5-0) with 17 points, while Jamal Welch added 15.

Cleveland 81, Foss 79

The first game of the tournament was delayed because the referees did not show up. Replacement officials were found, and the matchup began about 50 minutes late.

When the two teams were finally able to play, they produced a great game.

With the game tied late, Foss (5-1) had an opportunity to take the lead. The Falcons missed a shot, though, and the rebound was brought down by Cleveland’s Kai Greene, who was subsequently fouled. Greene, who finished with 40 points, sank a pair of free throws and the Eagles (3-3) held on to win.

Custom-curated news highlights, delivered weekday mornings.