With the game clock speeding toward zero and his team trailing by three, Eastside Catholic’s Mandrell Worthy did not have much time to think when he took a kick-out pass from teammate Zach Wallin following a missed three-point attempt by Matisse Thybulle.
“I saw the clock, and I just let it go,” said Worthy.
Launched from the top of the arc, Worthy’s rainbow hit only net as the buzzer sounded and sent a matchup between two top-10 teams into overtime. The extra period gave sixth-ranked Eastside Catholic the time it needed to pull out a 60-54 win over No. 7 Franklin Tuesday night in Metro boys basketball.
Worthy, a 6-foot-3 junior, finished with a season-high 33 points and Wallin scored the first four points of overtime for EC as the visiting Crusaders improved to 15-3 overall and 12-2 in Metro. Franklin dropped to 12-5 and 9-3 in league play.
- School board rebukes Bellevue football program; possible two-year ban for coach Butch Goncharoff
- This drone footage of inside Bertha’s tunnel is like something out of ‘Star Wars’
- Five veteran Seahawks whose roles could be most impacted by additions from the NFL draft
- Mayor, Chris Hansen denounce misogynistic comments over council arena vote
- Sport fishermen protesting in La Conner on Wednesday as tribal gill-net salmon fishery gets underway
Most Read Stories
“We changed the way we defended some things tonight,” Eastside Catholic coach Bill Liley said, “and I think the kids did a great job of being coachable.”