With the game clock speeding toward zero and his team trailing by three, Eastside Catholic’s Mandrell Worthy did not have much time to think when he took a kick-out pass from teammate Zach Wallin following a missed three-point attempt by Matisse Thybulle.
“I saw the clock, and I just let it go,” said Worthy.
Launched from the top of the arc, Worthy’s rainbow hit only net as the buzzer sounded and sent a matchup between two top-10 teams into overtime. The extra period gave sixth-ranked Eastside Catholic the time it needed to pull out a 60-54 win over No. 7 Franklin Tuesday night in Metro boys basketball.
Worthy, a 6-foot-3 junior, finished with a season-high 33 points and Wallin scored the first four points of overtime for EC as the visiting Crusaders improved to 15-3 overall and 12-2 in Metro. Franklin dropped to 12-5 and 9-3 in league play.
- Nurse dies from injuries in attack near CenturyLink Field
- Woman knocked unconscious by falling drone during Seattle's Pride parade
- Residents return to ‘war zone’ in wake of Wenatchee wildfire
- Tukwila group to submit expansion application to NHL
- ‘Historic’ tuition cut sets state apart from rest of U.S.
Most Read Stories
“We changed the way we defended some things tonight,” Eastside Catholic coach Bill Liley said, “and I think the kids did a great job of being coachable.”