Share story

After an undefeated run in the Metro League Sound Division, Nathan Hale didn’t even come close in either of its postseason games.

Lakes got the best of the Raiders on Friday at Memorial Stadium, using a 28-point second quarter and a monster first half from quarterback Nick Webster to win 59-0 in the round-of-32 game.

The Lancers were just 3-6 heading into Friday night’s game, including back-to-back losses in the past two weekends.

“When you get to the playoffs, records don’t mean anything,” Lakes coach Dave Miller said. “We just feel like we’re playing good football at the right time. It’s a new season.”

Unlimited Digital Access. $1 for 4 weeks.

Wide receiver Caleb Lyons sparked the Lancers early. The senior had a 27-yard punt return that set up his 20-yard touchdown run three plays later.

Lyons scooted in from 20 yards out once again to give Lakes a 14-0 lead with 5:25 remaining in the first half.

Webster tallied 225 total yards and scored three touchdowns before the break, two of which came on the ground. The Raiders (6-4) had just 74 total yards and were behind 35-0 at halftime.

“When we play Lakes football, the scoreboard will show it,” Lyons said. “Our defense completely dominated. I was so proud of them.”

Nathan Hale quarterback Winston Hallam-Eames threw a pair of interceptions during the first half, and the Lancers turned both turnovers into touchdowns of their own.

The Raiders, who reached the first round of the state playoffs last year before losing to Peninsula, weren’t unable to muster any offense in the second half, when Lakes forced three more Nathan Hale turnovers.

Nathan Hale completed its eighth consecutive winning season, but not before losing 45-14 to O’Dea in the Metro League championship and being eliminated from the postseason Friday night.

“We didn’t come out intimidated at all because of their record,” Webster said. “It doesn’t matter to us. We just play our game.”

Custom-curated news highlights, delivered weekday mornings.