YAKIMA — Junior Ledgard pitched and powered Ellensburg to its first Class 2A state baseball championship with a 2-1 victory over Lake Washington on Saturday at Yakima County Stadium.
Ledgard’s towering, two-run, two-out homer to left field in the fourth pushed the Bulldogs ahead. He also hurled a complete-game four-hitter, striking out six, after recovering from LW’s lone score of the game in the first inning.
In the seventh, Ledgard struck out the first batter. Kevin Nakahara followed with a single and, after a stolen base and a strikeout, pinch-hitter Jared Menssen slapped a grounder to third baseman Kyle Hickman, who tagged pinch-runner Riley Simonson for the third out.
Ledgard threw 95 pitches, including 66 strikes. A first-inning, two-out double by LW’s John Lyon plated the Kangaroos’ only run.
- Seattle fifth-graders will get their camp trip, but teachers refuse to go
- Washington state GOP convention backs Cruz over Trump
- Philippine president-elect blasts Catholic church, bishops
- Five things to watch as Seahawks begin OTAs Monday
- UW surgeon, Harborview sued: Fatal surgeries used unapproved bone cement
Most Read Stories
Ledgard finished 2 for 3 in a game that lasted only 1 hour 40 minutes.