YAKIMA — Junior Ledgard pitched and powered Ellensburg to its first Class 2A state baseball championship with a 2-1 victory over Lake Washington on Saturday at Yakima County Stadium.
Ledgard’s towering, two-run, two-out homer to left field in the fourth pushed the Bulldogs ahead. He also hurled a complete-game four-hitter, striking out six, after recovering from LW’s lone score of the game in the first inning.
In the seventh, Ledgard struck out the first batter. Kevin Nakahara followed with a single and, after a stolen base and a strikeout, pinch-hitter Jared Menssen slapped a grounder to third baseman Kyle Hickman, who tagged pinch-runner Riley Simonson for the third out.
Ledgard threw 95 pitches, including 66 strikes. A first-inning, two-out double by LW’s John Lyon plated the Kangaroos’ only run.
- Husky guide on UW cheerleading tryouts goes global
- Look like this, not that: UW pulls cheerleader-tryout advice after angry backlash
- CEO makes fiery emails about Muslims part of the workday
- Seahawks take Germain Ifedi with first-round pick in NFL draft
- APNewsBreak: Investigators look at overdose in Prince death
Most Read Stories
Ledgard finished 2 for 3 in a game that lasted only 1 hour 40 minutes.