Authorities say Hawaii running back Willis Wilson was found dead off of Oahu's Sandy Beach after a wave overcame him in shallow water.
Authorities say Hawaii running back Willis Wilson was found dead off of Oahu’s Sandy Beach after a wave overcame him in shallow water.
Hawaii’s athletics department confirmed Wilson’s death.
A Honolulu Fire Department report says Wilson was among a group of three men and two women who were wading in shallow water at about 4:30 a.m. on Saturday.
Fire officials and Coast Guard rescuers were called after the group noticed that the 21-year-old Wilson was no longer with them. The Honolulu Star-Advertiser (http://bit.ly/1ajqf6k ) reports that his body was recovered a few hours later.
- Seattle fifth-graders will get their camp trip, but teachers refuse to go
- Designed in Seattle, this $1 cup could save millions of babies
- Five things to watch as Seahawks begin OTAs Monday
- Ivar’s looks to sell, lease back two venerable restaurant sites
- What the national media are saying about Robinson Cano and the Mariners' hot start to the season
Most Read Stories
Wilson was born in Pearl City and attended high school in Lakewood, Wash., where he was an all-state running back. He transferred from Washington last summer after spending three seasons with the Huskies. He made the travel roster for the Rainbow Warriors’ first three games.