Authorities say Hawaii running back Willis Wilson was found dead off of Oahu's Sandy Beach after a wave overcame him in shallow water.
Authorities say Hawaii running back Willis Wilson was found dead off of Oahu’s Sandy Beach after a wave overcame him in shallow water.
Hawaii’s athletics department confirmed Wilson’s death.
A Honolulu Fire Department report says Wilson was among a group of three men and two women who were wading in shallow water at about 4:30 a.m. on Saturday.
Fire officials and Coast Guard rescuers were called after the group noticed that the 21-year-old Wilson was no longer with them. The Honolulu Star-Advertiser (http://bit.ly/1ajqf6k ) reports that his body was recovered a few hours later.
- Update: Seahawks' Jimmy Graham suffers right knee injury vs. Steelers, will miss rest of season
- Suspected burglar dies after getting stuck in chimney
- Pedestrian struck on I-5 dies
- Grading the game: Seattle Seahawks’ offense earns perfect mark against Pittsburgh Steelers
- Seahawks Game Center: Seattle tops Pittsburgh Steelers, 39-30, in back-and-forth thriller
Most Read Stories
Wilson was born in Pearl City and attended high school in Lakewood, Wash., where he was an all-state running back. He transferred from Washington last summer after spending three seasons with the Huskies. He made the travel roster for the Rainbow Warriors’ first three games.