Authorities say Hawaii running back Willis Wilson was found dead off of Oahu's Sandy Beach after a wave overcame him in shallow water.
Authorities say Hawaii running back Willis Wilson was found dead off of Oahu’s Sandy Beach after a wave overcame him in shallow water.
Hawaii’s athletics department confirmed Wilson’s death.
A Honolulu Fire Department report says Wilson was among a group of three men and two women who were wading in shallow water at about 4:30 a.m. on Saturday.
Fire officials and Coast Guard rescuers were called after the group noticed that the 21-year-old Wilson was no longer with them. The Honolulu Star-Advertiser (http://bit.ly/1ajqf6k ) reports that his body was recovered a few hours later.
- Shell icebreaker begins journey after protesters removed from Portland bridge
- Surviving Seattle’s sidewalks: Pedestrian rage rises as the population grows
- Silence deafening as Russell Wilson deadline for extension nears
- Haggen cuts worker hours in Seattle area
- Alaska Airlines has 72-hour sale on fall travel to Hawaii
Most Read Stories
Wilson was born in Pearl City and attended high school in Lakewood, Wash., where he was an all-state running back. He transferred from Washington last summer after spending three seasons with the Huskies. He made the travel roster for the Rainbow Warriors’ first three games.