EUGENE, Ore. — Kelly Graves has agreed to leave Gonzaga and become the new women’s basketball coach at Oregon, it was announced Monday.
Graves leaves after building Gonzaga into a powerhouse that won the past 10 West Coast Conference championships and has made six consecutive trips to the NCAA tournament.
He replaces legendary coach Paul Westhead, who was let go after a 16-16 season.
“When we started this process and began talking to people about who the right coach was, everyone would say, ‘Kelly Graves,’ ” said Lisa Peterson, who chaired the search committee. “And then they’d say, ‘But you’re never going to get him.’ ”
- School board rebukes Bellevue football program; possible two-year ban for coach Butch Goncharoff
- This drone footage of inside Bertha’s tunnel is like something out of ‘Star Wars’
- Mayor, Chris Hansen denounce misogynistic comments over council arena vote
- How the Seahawks got two first-round picks in the NFL draft
- Five veteran Seahawks whose roles could be most impacted by additions from the NFL draft
Most Read Stories
Peterson added, “He was the first person on the committee’s radar, just because of all the success he’s had.”
Graves was 317-136 at GU.