EUGENE, Ore. — Kelly Graves has agreed to leave Gonzaga and become the new women’s basketball coach at Oregon, it was announced Monday.
Graves leaves after building Gonzaga into a powerhouse that won the past 10 West Coast Conference championships and has made six consecutive trips to the NCAA tournament.
He replaces legendary coach Paul Westhead, who was let go after a 16-16 season.
“When we started this process and began talking to people about who the right coach was, everyone would say, ‘Kelly Graves,’ ” said Lisa Peterson, who chaired the search committee. “And then they’d say, ‘But you’re never going to get him.’ ”
- ‘Historic’ tuition cut sets state apart from rest of U.S.
- Nurse dies from injuries in attack near CenturyLink Field
- As fast-moving wildfire hits Quincy, police say Wenatchee blaze man-made
- Seattle man charged with vehicular homicide in cyclist’s death
- Seahawks mailbag: Bobby Wagner's contract, Brandon Mebane's future, and more
Most Read Stories
Peterson added, “He was the first person on the committee’s radar, just because of all the success he’s had.”
Graves was 317-136 at GU.