Jake Vieth homered and drove in three runs for Gonzaga.
Jake Vieth homered and drove in three runs to help Gonzaga to a 9-4 nonconference baseball victory over rival Washington State in Spokane on Monday night.
Daniel Bies of Redmond High allowed four hits and one run in six innings with five strikeouts for the Zags (21-14).
Gonzaga took a 9-1 lead before the Cougars staged a ninth-inning rally.
Andres Alvarez hit a two-run double and scored on a wild pitch, but the rally ended there for WSU (15-18).
Most Read Stories
- Billionaire Paul Allen pledges $30M toward permanent housing for Seattle’s homeless
- Seahawks trade with Falcons, 49ers to move out of first round of 2017 NFL Draft, now have 10 picks WATCH
- 2017 NFL draft: Live Seahawks updates from the second and third rounds
- Highway 99 tolling: Here's how much you could pay, according to new analysis
- Offer help to daughter every which way; it may build a bond | Dear Carolyn
• Jeff Harada has resigned as the head coach of the Central Washington women’s basketball team to take the same position at Cal State Fullerton.
In three seasons at CWU, Harada had a 44-42 overall record.
• The NCAA Division II national champion Western Washington women’s soccer team will be recognized at Tuesday’s Mariners game. Erin Russell, a product of Mountlake Terrace High, will throw out the ceremonial first pitch.