NORMAN, Okla. — Raychelle Santos’ string of wins in the U.S. Women’s Amateur Public Links Championship finally ended Friday when the Gonzaga golfer lost 4 and 3 in the semifinals.
The sophomore-to-be from La Quinta, Calif., was defeated by 18-year-old Lauren Diaz-Yi of Thousand Oaks, Calif.
Diaz-Yi will play co-medalist Doris Chen, 20, of Bradenton, Fla., in Saturday’s 36-hole final.
The 32nd-seeded Santos had won four matches to reach the semifinals, including a 2 and 1 quarterfinal win Friday morning over Cindy Ha of Demarest, N.J.
- WSU study: 'Exploding head syndrome' more common than once thought
- Oregon Zoo elephant Rama euthanized; loved to paint
- Ivar's to raise restaurant workers' wages to $15 right away
- Orca baby boom continues with discovery of fourth calf
- Bertha's damaged cutter head emerges from pit
Most Read Stories
No Zags golfer had previously advanced past the round of 32.
• Bothell’s Danny Wilson ran for a 2-yard touchdown as the West took an early 7-0 lead, but the East responded by scoring the next 31 points and beat the West 38-21 in the Class 4A/3A All-State Game for high-school seniors in Moses Lake.
• Wenatchee High School RB Isaiah Brandt-Sims, one of the state’s top recruits in the Class of 2014, announced his verbal commitment to Stanford. His list of other scholarship offers included Washington, BYU, Utah and Arizona State.
From sports-information reports.