Here's a golfing first: He holed in. Mark Mihal fell 18 feet into a sinkhole when the earth opened up on the 14th hole at the Annbriar Golf...
Here’s a golfing first: He holed in.
Mark Mihal fell 18 feet into a sinkhole when the earth opened up on the 14th hole at the Annbriar Golf Club near Waterloo, Ill.
“I feel lucky just to come out of it with a shoulder injury, falling that far and not knowing what I was going to hit,” Mihal, a 43-year-old mortgage broker, told AP. “It was absolutely crazy.”
On the bright side, at least this drop didn’t come with a one-stroke penalty.
- 1 killed, 5 injured in Snohomish Big Four Ice Caves collapse
- Starbucks prices here to rise 3.5 times as much as nationwide
- Seahawks mailbag: Russell Okung's future, Cliff Avril's role
- Seattle weather is an early peek at the future
- Mount St. Helens, still steaming, holds the world’s newest glacier
Most Read Stories
It’s not automatic
And from the Sometimes These Items Just Write Themselves file comes word that a woman is suing an Indianapolis church after its cemetery rejected her late husband’s headstone because it had a NASCAR logo on it.
The dearly departed’s name: Jason Carr.
Indiana basketball coach Tom Crean apologized for his heated postgame exchange with a Michigan assistant, saying he especially regretted:
a) letting his intensity get the better of him.
b) channeling his inner brother-in-law Jim.
What, no Blank check?
The NFL’s next playpen? A proposed $1 billion stadium in Atlanta.
To prove his intentions to city officials were pure, Falcons owner Arthur Blank flashed an $800,000 Home Depot gift card.
Which is somehow not on Alabama’s football schedule this year?
a) Georgia State
c) The College of Cardinals
Foreign Trade Dept.
Out-of-work slugger Manny Ramirez, 40, has signed to play for $25,000 a month with the EDA Rhinos in Taiwan. Or as Ramirez’s marketing arm immediately spun it, Manny being Mandarin.
Talking the walk
Among the top 10 things you don’t want to hear from your sneakers, from CBS’s David Letterman:
• “Left, right, left, right, left, right, left, right … “
• “You call this jogging?”
• “Can you introduce me to your sister’s pumps?”
• “Who’s stupid enough to buy talking shoes?”
Stat of the week
“Steve Stricker has made $1.82 million in three tournaments this year,” wrote AP’s Doug Ferguson. “Arnold Palmer made $1,861,857 in 734 career tournaments.”
• Adam Rank of NFL.com, on the Ravens-49ers trade: “There is a small part of me that believes John Harbaugh was forced by his parents to trade Anquan Boldin to his little brother after beating him in the Super Bowl.”
• Headline at Fark.com, on the Boldin trade: “Apparently you can both beat ‘em AND join ‘em.”
• Tweet from SportsPickle.com: “Percy Harvin to the Seahawks? Good luck not getting a migraine spending every day around Richard Sherman.”
Getting a lot of bang
The Sportsman Channel announced that its new TV series — NRANEWS Cam & Co. — is already tops in the key male 18-to-49 and 25-54 demographics.
No. 1 with a bullet? No kidding.
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or email@example.com