MADISON, Miss. – Woody Austin has spent the past few years living the life of a golf nomad, not knowing when his next chance to play on the PGA Tour would come.
Those days are over for a while.
The 49-year-old Austin won the Sanderson Farms Championship on Sunday for his first PGA Tour victory since 2007, beating Cameron Beckman and Daniel Summerhays with an 8-foot birdie putt on the first hole of a playoff.
“It has been a long road and a long time,” Austin said. “Now I’ve got a job again.”
- Amazon rolls out free same-day delivery for Prime members
- Marymoor Park concerts: Full lineup announced
- They were millionaires for 3 months, but Seattle couple didn't know it
- Capitol Hill light-rail station nearly ready for trains to rumble
- Nelson Cruz's home run in ninth inning lifts Mariners to sweep of Rays
Most Read Stories
Austin is the eighth-oldest winner in PGA Tour history and the oldest since Fred Funk won at 50 in 2007. The victory gave Austin a two-year exemption on the Tour and a spot in the PGA Championship — in addition to a $540,000 paycheck.
Not bad for a guy who hadn’t made a cut on the Tour this year.
Austin closed with a 5-under-par 67 to finish at 20-under 268. Beckman had a 67 and Summerhays shot a 69.
SYLVANIA, Ohio – Spaniard Beatriz Recari outdueled American Paula Creamer in a head-to-head battle to win the Marathon Classic for her second LPGA Tour victory of the year and third overall.
Recari, 26, closed with a 5-under 66 for a 17-under total and earned $195,000. Creamer, who shot a 67, has nine career victories but none since the 2010 U.S. Women’s Open.
• In a showdown of former NFL quarterbacks, Billy Joe Tolliver beat Mark Rypien — a former Washington State standout — on the third playoff hole to win the American Century Championship celebrity event at Edgewood Tahoe in Stateline, Nev.
Each had 67 points after 54 holes of regulation in the modified Stableford format that awards graduated points for pars or better. Chris Chandler, a former NFL and Washington Huskies quarterback, tied for fourth place with 64 points.